『2』

Chapter 2 - Purple

The second time the flowers had appeared on her balcony, they were purple. That time, she sat down on her beach chair and picked one up in her hands, twirling it around through her fingers as she took in the beautiful soft petals, vibrant in colour.

Sighing, she went back inside, muttering to herself.

Still, she never let go of the flower.

The day after, she brought two of them to school, decorating her space buns.

"What's with you and flowers now?" Alya asked when the two met up in front of the stairs at school.

She shrugged, "They're pretty, plus, flowers in people's hair is literally the cutest thing that humanity created."

"They are pretty," Alya agreed. "but I don't think that it's the cutest thing humanity has created."

"Oh, really?" Marinette raised an eyebrow, a small smirk pulling at the corner of her mouth. "What's your bet?"

Alya paused for a second.

"Nino."

If there was a way to keyboard smash in real life, Marinette would've done it. Alas, such methods of communication weren't available.

"Nino?" she snorted, "Not to make fun of him; he's adorable. But the cutest thing humanity has ever created?"

"Oh, shut up," Alya elbowed her in the shoulder although a smile was alight on her face. "You can't talk, Mrs. Agreste."

Even though she was keeping her voice to a whisper, Marinette's eyes widened in panic as she clamped a hand over her friend's mouth. "Alya!" she hissed, lowering her voice, "You can't just say that! What if Adrien heard you—"

"Heard what?"

Marinette let out an unearthly sound as she twirled around, her mouth open in fear as she took in the new arrival. Who she happened to be talking about three seconds ago.

"Adrien!" she greeted cheerfully, "You're here! At this very second. While we were talking about totally unrelated things that are, not at all, about you!"

All of Marinette's fear dissipated as he blinked in confusion.

"...Okay? You did say my name though so..." he waved his arms around, "I'm a little curious."

Alya, who Marinette decided was in fact the best thing that ever happened to her, came to the rescue. "We were just talking about Marinette's flowers!"

It was at this moment that she saw the faint blush that had spread across his cheeks. Alya parted her mouth for a second before confining the excited squeal that threatened to spill from her lips.

"Oh yeah," he said faintly, locking his eyes on the two roses, "You're wearing them again."

He smiled at her, "You've got a new delivery from Secret Admirer?"

Of course, he knew that she got a new delivery. He was Secret Admirer. She just didn't know that; it was called Secret Admirer for a reason.

"Yeah," she grinned, "I mean, I'm not complaining, but I also don't want to lead them on just because I kept the flowers."

"You're not leading m— them on!" Adrien assured her quickly, fiercely. "If they're not showing themselves there's really not much you can do."

"Well yeah, but if they're not this one specific person then I can't really do much," she looked him up and down, "And I'm pretty certain they're not."