He opened the box.

"Gunnar," Selene gasped as her heartbeat stifled.

What was he doing to her?

"As you seek out God, findin who you are, lovin who you are, gaining wisdom, and gaining the fruit of His Spirit, I want you to know that just as Pearls are in no need of polishing or refining by the hand of man, so are you. God created it as is and He did the same for you. Seek Him and know Him, that's the only way you can be better. Naturally, you are a work of art, but givin your heart will allow God to make you the woman He made you to be."

He wanted to touch her flushed cheeks. But instead, he praised God for her.

"Dove, I want you to know that you are my Pearl. Most valuable, sought after, precious creation of God."

He removed his hand from hers and watched her take the necklace.

Completely enthralled, amazed, and loved her. But mostly, he loved the transformation God did with her heart.

Selene tore her eyes away from the gorgeous necklace and shook her head in disbelief.

Everything was being rewritten.

"I always thought that Pearls were tied to death or sadness, I learned that," She admitted in awe. "But your understanding of it, I like it much better. Something precious and rare, and perfect in God's eyes," A faint smile marred her lips as she stared at the glistening pearls.

"Thank you. I would say that I don't deserve it, but I think I do." She looked into his eyes and almost melted. This was reality. "I wish that I understood the Bible the way you do. I rejected it so much, but now it's different. Like a snap of a finger," She admitted self-consciously.

She didn't know why she said it, it slipped out.

This was new.

"You take it like learnin for school,"

Selene laughed.

"I didn't really go to school," She learned on the go, which wasn't a priority in the eyes of her father.

School was for people who needed a high-salary career, so he said.

This confused Gunnar. "All folks got to go to school, Galia. Why ain't you?"

Selene's heart dropped.

She didn't want to remember anything about her old life. Not now. Things were looking up.

"Don't tell me," Gunnar said firmly after seeing panic overtake her eyes.

Selene nodded, but she couldn't believe it. "You're okay with not knowing?"

He wasn't going to force her to speak.

Wow.

"Course, tell me or not, it's all good."

Selene groaned at his passive ways.

No.

"I'm sorry. And I'm not playing the blame game, I just have to take time and see why you're this way. It's unnatural in my eyes, but I have to remind myself that in your eyes, I'm a Pearl." She couldn't even believe that she was saying that.

A Pearl?

Something so wonderful.

Gunnar smiled and tilted his head. "You do that, dove." He was a gushy-tushy and it was getting worse by the second.

He loved the precious dove.

-

They stayed at the nature observatory until closing time.