Ch 26: The Boiling Rock Part II

Start from the beginning

"I don't have much time. If I'm seen with you, the guards might think something's up. I just talked to my dad," he told me. I smiled at him. 

"That's great," I said. 

"Yeah, and we're escaping today...on the gondola," he said and I raised an eyebrow. 

"Is that helmet too tight?" I asked, patting his head. He shook his head. 

"My dad and I came up with the plan together. We're gonna commandeer the gondola and we're gonna take a hostage with us so they won't cut the lines," he explained. I thought to myself. 

"Ok well the hostage has to be the warden, anyone else and they'll cut the lines anyway. But how are we gonna get to him or the gondola? There's too many guards," I said. 

"My dad thought of that. He said we'll need a distraction. That's why we're gonna start a prison riot," he said excitedly. I thought again and nodded. 

"Alright, let's just hope this works," I told him, giving him a trusting smile. We heard a noise outside the cell and Sokka turned to me.

"I have to go," he said and I pulled him into a tight hug. 

"Please be safe Sokka," I mumbled into his shoulder. 

"I will. I'll find you before we start the riot," he promised and then he left my room. Sokka's new plan gave me a new thing to think of, and it was running my mind in circles. 

So many things could happen. So many things could go wrong. I just want the others to escape, I can handle more time in here—

I shivered at the thought. 

I really hope this plan is the last one... 

An hour later...

I heard the sound of hundreds of metal doors sliding open and I figured that Sokka's plan had been put into effect. Except that my door wasn't opening. 

Oh this is ridiculous. I picked up my chair and threw it at the door repeatedly. 

"Prisoner, stop that at once," I heard a guard yell. Where there's a guard, that guard is a key. I focused and bloodbent the guard into prying open my cell door. I pushed passed him and the other prisoners until I got to the yard. 

"Y/n!" I heard a voice call my name and turned to find Sokka and his dad running towards me. "What took you so long?" Sokka asked me. 

"My cell door wouldn't open. Never mind that, how are we going to start this riot?" I asked. 

Chief Hakoda smirked and went to go push another prisoner. That prisoner diffused the situation though, and no riot was started. 

"Hey you! You're lucky I didn't rat you out," Chit Sang said, appearing behind us. "I know you're planning another escape attempt, and I want in," he said. Sokka smirked.

"You wouldn't happen to know how to start a riot, would you?" He asked him. Chit Sang smirked back. 

"A prison riot? Please," he said smugly and he went and grabbed a prisoner. He lifted him above his head and shook him, screaming to the assembled prisoners. "Hey! Riot!" 

Fire and screaming burst out and a riot really started. After a few minutes, Zuko showed up out of the melee. 

"Good we're all here. Now all we need to do is grab the warden and get to the gondolas," Sokka said, pointing at the balcony where the warden was. 

"I got it," I mumbled and I ran off into the crowd. I flipped and rolled between and under the rioting prisoners, jumping over the ones I felt like. I used my flame to propel myself on the balcony and kicked out at the incoming guard.