Chapter 44 | Holding On

Start from the beginning

"I know, darling. I know."

"I'm sorry-"

Darius's expression was stricken as he cradled her closer. "It's alright. It's okay. I'm sorry too. I'm so sorry."

Ezekiel sank to the ground, his knees collapsing in relief.

Alerted by his movement, Darius glanced up at his advisor. Sending the other lycan a fierce glare, Darius shrugged off his robe and wrapped the Princess up tightly, concealing her exposed form. Ezekiel quickly looked away.

"I ordered her gone from my sight," Darius sounded downright murderous, "I did not order her execution. Explain her condition!" His grey eyes were rimmed with red as he glowered at his advisor.

"Your orders prevented us from approaching her my Lord, and the Princess was declining all food." Ezekiel breathed. He could not help but look back to the Princess- she had fallen unconscious, her lips pale, eyelids a deep lavender. She needed medical attention. She needed Balthazar. "You were away," he continued, his voice growing a little stronger, "we haven't been able to contact you- we tried- Vandor went out to search for you a month ago and-

Abruptly, there was another body in the room.

Gabriel rushed through the door, taking in several things at once. He saw Ezekiel kneeling on the floor and noted his proximity to the Princess. He gathered they had been released from the order. He saw the Princess herself, the state she was in, and the arms that held her. His green eyes hardened with anger as he took in the bath- half filled with water, most of its contents spilled on the floor. It did not take him long to put together the implication.

Before either Darius or Ezekiel could comprehend what was happening, Gabriel had pushed past Ezekiel to lift the Princess from his former Alpha's arms.

"Darius Greyson, for your actions towards Iris Silvon, I renounce my loyalty to the Greyson House and severe the pledge I had freely given."

Gabriel's words were solemn and delivered with unwavering resolve. Ezekiel inhaled sharply, as he felt the pack thread that connected him to the other lycan snap instantly.

Immediately, the Gabriel felt the repercussions. He stumbled, although his grip on Iris remained firm, and turning his head to the side, coughed blood out onto the floor.

Ezekiel scrambled for words to make his friend reconsider. Severing ties with the Alpha was not an action done lightly- nor was it a matter of merely speaking a few words. If your will was not strong enough, then the agony from the rejection could tear a lycan apart internally.

"Gabriel-" he said weakly, "-wait and think about what you're doing-"

His extended hand was shaken off as Gabriel bared his bloodstained teeth in a vicious snarl. Such an expression was a stark contrast to the stoic lycan's usually unshakable demeanour, and Ezekiel found himself at a loss for words.

Gabriel coughed again, hacking up more blood and a trickle of red began to run from his nose. "I take up a new pact," he said through gritted teeth, "in accordance with Arlo Greyson's wishes, and in light of his recent passing, I pledge my loyalty to Iris Silvon in his place." He clutched the Princess tightly, the aura of his rage increasing. "I pledge myself as her protector, and loyal solider. For as long as I live, I vow to serve her. I pledge to hold her life above my own, and I will never be helpless to aid her, ever again!"

As he spoke, Gabriel's green eyes were overtaken with the familiar white haze of the pledge, and a distinctive crescent moon appeared in the centre of his forehead, a pale brand that would remain  beneath his skin. The light pulsed and shivered for a moment before spilling over, pouring from his nose, his ears, and his eyes.