Forbidden love

As days passed by, Mermando felt his love for Mabel hard to hide, though he tried to deny it when she was there, whenever she went home, he was smitten for her.

Though, he did not want to ruin the relationship him and Mabel already had as friends, not to mention if his own family knew that he was in love with a human, he would disappear and turn into sea foam, the thought of it itself scared him to no end. So he kept his forbbiden feelings inside of him.

One day, Mermando was at the docks, dreamily thinking about Mabel, swimming slowly back and forth with his guitar in hand. He slowly strummed his guitar, the smooth rhythm flowing out as his words matched the tone.

"Oh... Mi amore, even though I cannot express how I feel about you, my lovely. I promise you I'll always be right here beside you, watching over you. You know I love you too, mi amore..."

He was thinking of a new song to sing but then he heard th sounds of Mabel's footsteps, he immediatly hid the guitar and smiled. His smile faded to see that Mabel had been crying. "Mabel, what is wrong?" The merman asked in concern. "My great-uncle and the rest of my family is planning on me and Gideon getting married! It's just for some stupid money deal, but..." She then sobbed as Mermando embraced her in his arms, stroking her hair back and forth. Mabel then continued, "but I can't marry some guy I don't even know! This is a democracy!" She sobbed some more. "I even heard about women and other countries being married to a guy she doesn't know, most of them get abused!"

"Shhh, don't worry my lo-, I mean Mabel, I will be there to protect you if he does that to you." Mermando whispered in her ear as she was crying in his arms. As Mermando felt sympathy for Mabel, he also felt a pang of jealousy and anger, how dare he steal his Mabel! And Mermando was certain if he ever hurt his Mabel, he'd rip is throat out, pull out his intestines, he'd make him have the most suffering death as possible.

"Oh, Mermando..." Mabel said in-between sobs, "How come you are so sweet?"

Mermando couldn't answer that question. Especially since the space between his and Mabel's lips were just inches apart. "Well, I better be going... Thanks for the comfort, Mermando, maybe he won't be so bad." She started to drift away from him.

As he saw her starting to leave, he couldn't take it anymore, she was getting married for neptune's sake! He just needed one kiss. Just one. So he gripped on her sweater sleeves and pulled her back t him. Mabel looked at him weirdly, "Mermando, what are you do-" She was cut off by Mermando's lips attaching to hers'.