"Yes," Maggie replied confidently.

"Do you think we could win, that we really could beat them? Us?"

"I do."

The woman let out a soft breath of air, nervous... but strong. "Enid says you could show us the way. I'm ready."

The rest of Hilltop's people who had congregated in the clearing made noises of agreement. Murphy could not help the smile that stretched across her lips. Despite the crimes she had witnessed in the recent weeks, there were still good people out there. There were still people ready to fight for their future... for a better world, not only for themselves, but for those around them. That mindset was hard to come by, but could be found in the most unexpected times and places. Murphy let her fingers tangle with Daryl's at her side. His eyes stayed trained on the ground before him. The doctor furrowed her brows, a slight pang in her chest at his reluctance.

After a short conversation between those from Alexandria and from Hilltop, Rick and the others pledged to help train the farmers and prepare them for the upcoming war. They were thanked profusely and then were on their way to continue preparing.

"It's a start," Michonne shrugged, sharing a content look with Murph and Rick.

Sasha shook her head, insistent. "We'll get more. It still won't be enough."

"No, it won't," Rosita agreed.

"It has to be," Murphy interjected, a slight feeling of hope beginning to return. "We'll make do."

"If we find the right stuff, maybe we don' need the numbers," Daryl mumbled, his eyes locking with Murphy's forest green ones before flicking elsewhere. "Blow 'em up, burn 'em to the ground."

Murphy stumbled a bit while walking down the mulch pathway, not watching where she was going as she stared at him with uncertainty. "Wait, you said there weren't just soldiers with the Saviors... that there were workers there. People who didn't have a choice."

Daryl stared straight ahead as they walked onward. "We gotta win."

Murphy's lips separated and she thought to herself for a moment, crossing her arms as an indescribable feeling spread throughout her chest. Maintaining a balance between peace and war was something she always struggled to discover within herself. She felt an unbearable anger toward Negan and the Saviors. She saw the dark world differently after the lineup. But she couldn't help but remember what her own people did at the outpost— how inhumane and desensitized it felt despite her saying so. She couldn't let this streak of senseless death continue.

"We need more hands. Another group. Negan has outposts. The geography, the distance works against us. We gotta get back. If they come lookin' for Daryl, we need to be there," Rick announced.

"You don't have to get back. Not yet," Jesus caught up with them just as they reached the gate and pulled out a radio from his back pocket. "It's one of theirs, long range. We can listen in, keep track of them."

"So if we're not going back, what are we doing, then?" Michonne asked slowly.

Jesus sighed with a soft smile playing on his lips. "I think it's time we introduced you to Ezekiel. King Ezekiel."

They all shared looks with one another. Rick placed his hands on his hips, and he let his southern accent drawl.

"King?"

___

The group piled into one of Hilltop's vans and set out on this new adventure, to the distant lands of the eponymous Kingdom. Murphy was the first to admit that she was a little skeptical of this whole charade. What kind of community would play dress up in a world like this? Who would follow a man who proclaimed himself king? To her, it seemed no different than what Negan did to his followers. But as always, she strived to keep an open mind and experience.