Chapter Sixty-six

Start from the beginning

"I don't feel anything from this weak shit," she teases, and they look at her sternly. "Honestly, I've gotten higher off my ex's stash. This was like —"

Wait – what was I talking about?

Judith chuckles, and it gradually turns into a hysterical laugh. They snicker at her, sharing glances.

"I thought she was serious. I was about to get so mad," Veronica says through belly laughs.

"Yeah, you're lucky you're cool, Judy," Kacey tells her. Jenny pulls what's left, then flicks the cigarette out her window. "Ronnie's got a green thumb and she treats this like a job."

"Because it is," she clarifies. Jennifer exhales and scratches the top of her head. "It's not like growing tomatoes and shit. I got a cousin in Cali who's competing with me; he has a shop and everything."

"I'm sorry. I was just joking; I didn't mean to offend you." The car falls silent, and Kacey lowers her head, then clears her throat. She turns to the radio, and they watch her twist the dial. Munchies for your love begins to play, and glee enters everyone's eyes except Judy's.

The trio sings along to the song, and Judith feels herself sinking into the creme leather seat. Her mind wanders with images of David and Mary. She envisions him leaning in to kiss her, only stopping with their lips close enough to feel the heat of each other's breaths.

"I'm selfish with your love, you see," they belt out the line in unison and Veronica's hair swings against the breeze. Judy looks at them, then at the radio. She jolts forward, causing Ronnie to flinch, and they watch her turn the knob off.

Tears strike her eyes like the lyrics did her heart, and she slides off the armrest, returning to her seat. They look at each other, and when they notice the confusion they all share, they return their attention to her.

"Fuck Mary," Judith says with a quiver in her voice, and Kacey curls her mouth into a smirk. Veronica and Jennifer furrow their brows.

"Um, fuck, marry, kill?" Kacey shakes her head before Judy can, so Ronnie asks, "Then what's she talking about?"

"I'm talking about that blonde bitch I was friends with," she clarifies, but they remain unsure. "Mary. Mary Hendricks? She almost fought Juniper."

"Oh, her! Wait, what'd she do," Jenny asks, and Judith shakes her head.

"She's with my ex-boyfriend. He talks like they're done, but figuring out the truth in the lies he spews is like finding a needle in a haystack." They look at each other, then at her.

"Do you still love him?" She slowly turns her head to Veronica when she asks.

"No." Judith narrows her eyes as she answers sternly.

"Then why do you give a fuck what they do?" She doesn't respond. Instead, she lowers her gaze to her knees, and Ronnie sighs. "Listen, I get it. I was kicking it with this guy in Miami when I was your age, and he cheated on me three times, but I still stuck by him. After I found out he got one of his others pregnant, I left him."

"Are they still together?" Veronica twists her mouth and bites her inner cheek. She nods her head. "And they're happy?"

"As happy as anyone can be in that situation." Kacey shakes her head, and Jennifer's eyes dim with sympathy. "I know it isn't encouraging, but it doesn't matter how happy they are. How you get them is how you lose them. Remember that, you dig?"

***

Judith steps out of Kacey's Ford Elite, and when she shuts the door, she turns her head to her right and notices Jerome sitting on his steps.