From the door, I can see right around the pool, right to where Melanie is. My eyes stay fixed on her, as she silently walks with the school emblem printed on a white flag, alone. She's halfway along the pool deck, heading towards the gathering group of statue-like flag bearers. 

Making I scurry along the pool deck, a smirk on my face as I run to catch up with her. I sidle up beside her, placing my hand just above hers on the stick of the flag. Her stony face lights up suddenly with surprise, like I pulled her out of some trance. Although just as quickly as it changed, it flicks back to its usual scowl. She scoffs, taking a step away from me and sliding her hand further down the pole. I shake my head, looking around at the crowd. They're all chuckling loudly, all eyes trained on me. I smile, lifting my hand to a wave. That earns me another laughs, one of which Melanie scoffs at, loudly.

"Sorry Melly, couldn't find a park." I lower my head, whispering right into her ear. She completely ignores me, staring straight ahead.

"Look, I'm really sorry, I really didn't mean to make you walk here all by yourself. I forgot we even had to do this shit today. I'm sorry." her shoulders stay stiffened as we finally stop walking, lining up beside the other flag-bearers of various other schools.

"I'm sorry, I really am." I whisper one last time.

"Whatever. It's fine." She whisper-replies, her gaze never travelling from right in front of her. 

Taking her response as a victory, my mouth bends into a smile. I look back into the crowd, spying our rowdy team. I wave up at a few of our teammates, but my glee turns into sly dread when I lock eyes with Coach. He's frowning, his eyebrows knitted in such a way that could only be intimidating if he did it. I gulp, looking away and back to the lines of students. My eyes land on a firm glare, which struggles to look intimidating coming from Jamie. My smile drops, doing my best to stare back at him. Sounds erupt from around the pool, but I don't dare look away until he cracks. He does so fairly quickly, a pink flush spreading across his cheeks.

I really don't get what the guys problem is. I've done nothing to him, and the problem he has with me is starting to get a little out of hand. He doesn't scare me, but I'm scared of what he'll do to Melanie. My Melanie.

Wait, no, not my Melanie per say, because she's obviously not mine, but I just don't want his crush on her to get out of control. I think we've grown closer through the whole project thing, and I'd hate to see anything happen to her because of him. Yep, that's the only reason, don't look at me like that.

Trying to shake him out of my head, my eyes flick higher up in the stands, landing on Lucinda. She's standing up, clapping, her lips spread into a small, sweet smile. I grin back at her, waving quickly. Even as I'm standing next to Melanie, so close I could describe the smell of her shampoo, I still have no idea what I'm doing about anything. 

Finally, and against my better judgement, I move my gaze back to Melanie, staring at the top of her head. Her nose twitches, probably due to the waft of chlorine circling us in the air. Her eyelids flutter against the dark eye bags drawn onto her skin, tiredness seeping out of her. I want to reach across and take her in my arms, holding her close. But I can't, and more importantly won't. It'd change everything, including how I myself view everything in my life. 

"Hello everyone, and welcome to tonight's meet, hosted by Willowshire University!" Everyone claps absentmindedly, the officials voice dragging on and on through the PA system. "I'd like to firstly welcome all the other schools who have come down to compete today." Another cluster of clapping. "And to let everyone know that they need to be down for marshalling as promptly as possible. Apart from that, have a good night, and let the best team win!" Finally.