twenty - two

Sipping my drink I greet Kyle the bodyguard before pushing my way into the apartment

This whole day has been so bad. The photos in my backpack haunt me. Did Roan take them? Did one of his workers? The one taken at school was obviously taken by one of my classmates which just proves even in class I am not safe from him.

I drop my keys in the bowl, shrugging off my coat seeing as November is approaching, and then I kick off my Ugg's. They really tied my outfit together today.

Black baggy sweatpants, black baggy sweatshirt, black Carhart beanie, and then the hideous yet insanely comfy tan boots.

I dressed the way I felt. Sad. How would you dress if you were scared? Blue? Navy? I don't know.

When I walk into the living room after dumping my bag on the couch I lift my gaze to see my father with my puppies under his arms. He's standing in the living room like he's been waiting for me.

Fuck.

I think I am going to cry.

I didn't want him to see. I didn't want to give him another reason to be disappointed in me.

"I can ex-" I start but get cut off.

"What's their names?" He looks down at them scratching Spoons ears. I look down and rock back and forth on the balls of my feet.

"Um, Fork and Spoon." I mumble, keeping my teary eyes downcast. I hear him walk over, yet I don't look up until I feel a hand lifting my chin up.

"Which one is Fork and which one is Spoon?" He questions me placing the dogs on the ground and wiping a tear that betrayed me. He looks apologetic.

"Fork is the boy and um, Spoon is the girl."

"I got them each a bed, collars, and bowls. I got the basic puppy food and some small treats for training. We will need to get them checked up at the vet just to make sure they're heal-" I cut him off by wrapping my arms around his torso. I let my tears fall soaking his shirt. He wraps his arms around me and kisses my forehead.

"Thank you." I sniffle. I missed hugs from Dad.

"I am so sorry Maggie." He apologizes. Why is he apologizing I am the disappointment? I pull away and look up at him. I wipe my tears with the back of my hand, sniffling a bit.

"Don't be sorry Leonardo, I am sorry." I look down and grab my backpack. Throwing it over my shoulders I see his upset look but ignore it not wanting to get on his nerves any more. I see Spoon following me with a little hop in her step.

Throwing my backpack on my bed I pull out my books and start with my math homework.

-