26. the definition of love

HER POV

       "So, what if he doesn't want to leave with you?" Derek asks as he parks the car outside of Lucy's Cafe.

       "I will ask him to wait for me," I reply with a small smile. "I'll only be gone a few months. Just enough until it is safe to come back."

       Derek nods understandingly. He then turns to me with a sad smile and watery eyes.

       "I am going to miss you Sammy," he sniffs back as a tear rolls down his cheek.

       I press my lips together, but it does not take long before I mirror Derek's teary expression. I lean over and hug him tightly.

       "I am going to miss you too," I reply. "But I will be back. I promise."

       Derek and I pull away slowly. He wipes his tears away and cleans his runny nose. We stay in silence for a few minutes before I finally have the courage to say goodbye.

       "Thank you for everything," I whisper as I open the car door.

       "Take care Sam," he replies.

       I fan my face to dry the wet spots on my cheeks. I take in a deep breathe and make my way toward the entrance of the restaurant.

       As I reach my hand toward the door's handle, my phone begins to buzz. I reach into my bag and pull it out to find Derek's name flashing through the screen.

       "Missing me already?" I tease as I slowly turn around.

       "Oh yes, very much so mia bella."

       My breathe hitches as I find the man I have been running away from standing a few feet away from me. His icy blue eyes staring at me as a small smirk appears at the corner of his lips.

       "Where is Derek?" I ask in a harsh tone.

       His chuckle echoes through my ear and I shudder fearfully.

       "I advise that you get in the vehicle without any protests or your little friend will have his head blown off," he threatens.

       He opens the back door of the black Honda Civic next to him. I stay put though. I turn to look into the restaurant.

       Brian is sitting at a table close to the entrance. He smiles as he sees me and I feel my heart clench.

       "You may also want to know I have one of my most skilled snipers set up in the building across from you with orders to kill that other friend of yours," Dante adds and my heart stops. "You wouldn't want two lives to be ended now would you?"

       "Tu sei un bastardo!" I scream at the phone. "I fucking hate you Dante Villanueva."

       "The clock is ticking mia cara sposa," he replied with a smug expression.

       I look back at Brian who now has a confused expression. I feel the tears trickling down my cheeks as I take in a deep breathe.

       I was too stupid to believe that I could have him. That I could live happy. That I could have a loving boyfriend and a good life.

       I wipe away the tears and walk toward Dante. I climb into the vehicle without looking back. I could never escape. I could never have that which would always be forbidden.

HIS POV

       "Are you ready to order sir?" The waiter asks and I shake my head.

       "I am waiting for my girlfriend," I reply with a giddy smile, not able to contain my excitement. "She will be here shortly."

       The waiter nods understandingly and walks away. I stare down at my watch and it reads, 1:45. My knee bounces up and down from the jitters running through my blood.

       The promotion is just one of the reasons why I feel this way. The main reason is the paper inside my blazer jacket. The excitement of telling Samantha of the new condo I bought for the both of us is eating me alive.

       A few hours ago, I used the money from the incentive to pay the down payment on one of the best condos in New York. It would just be Samantha and me. This is just the beginning of a new journey.

       I shift my eyes to the clear glass door as I sense someone staring at me. My smile widen as I find Samantha standing near the door.

       Her attention shifts to her phone that is close to her ear. I can tell that she upset with whoever is on the other side of the call. Tears are trickling down her face and my confusion turns into concern.

       I watch as she walks away and immediately jump out of my seat. Panic overruns me.

       "Sam! Samantha!" I call out as I run toward the doors but she does not seem to hear me. She does not glance back, not once.

       I maneuver past the waiters walking by, but by the time I reach the street it is empty. She is gone. The woman that brought all my joy, in one quick moment ripped away.

 The woman that brought all my joy, in one quick moment ripped away

Author's Note
💔💔💔
I know, I know. Not the happiest ending, but fret nit their story is far from over. This story will continue in the next book called Forbidden Attractions. Dante will finally be appearing alongside some new characters. Since this book ended a little later than I expected, the wait for the next book will be very short. I am planning to release the prologue on this Sunday, followed by the official premiere on June 1st. Get ready for another steamy drama. Thank you so much for reading my lovelies and I hope to see you in my next book.
Adios!

Song: The Heart Wants What It Wants - Selena Gomez