13 ~ 𝙝𝙞𝙙𝙙𝙚𝙣 𝙚𝙫𝙞𝙡 𝙖𝙣𝙙 𝙠𝙣𝙤𝙬𝙣 𝙘𝙤𝙣𝙣𝙚𝙘𝙩𝙞𝙤𝙣

Newt

The cabin in the middle of the woods was our safe place. The fire was always crackling cheerfully and the bedsheets always smelled like lavender. I always woke smiling, and that morning was no different. I threw off my bedsheets and swung my legs out of bed, carefully pulling up the white sheets to the pillows.

A tray with pancakes and fruit was on my bedside table, along with a glass full of orange juice. I smiled. The others must have woken up early and already made breakfast. I wolfed down the food and opened my bedroom door. Down the hallway, towards the staircase, I felt my smile slip from my face, and a strange feeling in my gut told me to go back to my room. I ignored it.

Walking down the stairs and into the sitting room, I spotted Alby and Minho curled up in armchairs. Alby was drinking a cup of coffee, and Minho was finishing up his own breakfast. They looked up and beamed warmly when I came down the stairs.

"Morning, Newt! Sleep well?"

I opened my mouth to reply, but instead, something completely unexpected happened.

An inhuman screech ripped from my throat, and I felt my face contort into a snarl. My vision went white with pure rage and bloodlust. Alby and Minho barely had time to exchange confused looks before I pounced, attacking Alby first.

He yelled as I wrestled him out of the chair and to the floor. Instinctively I reached into my pocket and pulled out a knife. Without hesitation, I slit his throat. One down.

I stood swiftly, just in time to catch Minho coming at me with a fire poker. I laughed madly. As if he could stop me with that. He was on the ground with the knife in his chest in less than five seconds.

I stood, panting, but the adrenaline did not leave. Somehow it knew that there was more to come. A door swung open – the door to the kitchen. Frypan and Julian burst into the room, halting in horror when they saw Alby and Minho's bodies on the floor. Their blood was staining the fluffy white rug in front of the fireplace.

"Newt-?"

Another screech. Another pounce. Julian put up a fight, but he was defenseless without a weapon. With a quick jab to his stomach, he was slumped against the wall, just barely alive. I could hear Frypan's screams in my ear, and his hands at the back of my shirt. How annoying.

I whipped around to see the fear in his eyes. He backed away, right hand moving towards the poker Minho had dropped. I smirked. He was really going to try that again? I moved so quickly that he didn't even have his fingers brushing the poker before he was dead on the ground.

The door to the kitchen opened once again, and this time it was Lottie who entered the room. Unlike Julian and Frypan, she paid no attention to the bodies of her friends on the ground. Instead, she smiled warmly at me and approached, reaching for my hands. I let her take them. The others had been so easy; I wanted to have a bit of fun with this one.

"Did you like the pancakes I made you?" Lottie asked.

"Delicious," I replied. "As usual." Lottie blushed. I remembered a time when I loved making her blush. Now, I could not care less. All I wanted was her blood on my hands, and her body next to the others'.

Lottie put her arms around my neck. She smiled as I bent my neck towards her face. Little did she know, I was snaking my hand behind her – the one with the knife in it. Right before our lips touched, I stabbed her in the back. Her eyes went wide with pain and betrayal, and only then did she seem to realize that she was surrounded by death. And she was about to be the addition.