39

A/N: Aaah!! It's been so long since I've updated. Hope you guys are still interested in this story <3 I went on hiatus for a bit but am so excited to be back and posting again. Happy reading! It'd mean a lot if you could vote, comment, share, etc. <3 xoxo, Squish

Agent Leto would've freaked.

It was a classic mistake: thwarting the bad guy's plan in a crowded hallway where just about anyone could overhear? Probably not the smartest move in the world.

Chloe's wide-eyed gaze flitted back and forth between Sophie, Fitz, Keefe, and back to Sophie- particularly how closely she was standing to Keefe. Her voice trembled as she muttered, "Well, I guess I'm not seeing you at the football game tonight, huh Keith?"

Fits gaped. "Who is she?"

Sophie couldn't tell if his shock was horror at their surprise eavesdropper or because Chloe happened to be exceptionally pretty (Biana was staring at Chloe's almost-identical dark brown waves, looking personally offended).

Chloe ignored him. "I-I mean I guess it's not the end of the world- you know, just N-New York being b-b-blown up... my family, my brother..." Her voice was shrill with hysterics. "Oh my gosh! We're all going to die! I have to get out of here-!"

She turned to run, but Fitz grabbed her hand. His movie-star grin made her visibly relax. "Hey, calm down. It's okay. We weren't serious!" He laughed like the idea was ridiculous- which it was. "It's just a play we're putting on, next... uh, Friday, after school, at my house. Practicing lines, you know. Maybe you could come see it! What's your name?"

His acting was perfect: Chloe's breathing slowed. "It's Chloe. Chloe Rodriguez. And you are...?"

"Fitz." He smiled, clearly relieved.

Chloe glanced between Keefe and Fitz- probably trying to decide which one to bat her eyelashes at. Sophie could almost see her thought process: the mysterious blonde kid standing way too close to Sophie versus the cute boy who'd already invited her over. She evidently chose Fitz, because she took a very deliberate step in his direction.

There was an awkward silence.

Fitz cleared his throat. "Er, we should probably get to class."

Chloe looked at him curiously. "What do you have after this?"

"Chem, down the hall," Fitz mumbled.

Chloe lit up. "Perfect! So do I."

Sophie shot him a glance. Biana let out a sharp laugh, which she quickly tried to cover with a cough, and Dex elbowed her.

"You know," Fitz said slowly, "I'm actually ditching today. Normally I don't, but I've got a lot of homework, and I was thinking of just... you know, chilling. For a little."

Chloe didn't look troubled by this at all. "That sounds great! It's a date, Fitzypoo!"

Keefe choked a laugh that sounded suspiciously like "Fitzypoo."

The bell rang, signaling the start of the next period. Sophie sighed. "Look, Chloe, he really can't right now. We'll see you at the football game tonight, promise."

"Oh, don't you start, Blonde!" Chloe seethed under her breath. "You already stole the other cute one-" she tipped her head towards Keefe "-don't take my Fitzypoo too!"

Sophie wanted to scream This isn't about boys! But of course, that would prompt the inevitable question: what was it about? "Look, Chloe, I-"

"Miss Rodriguez?" a cool voice said. "What are you doing out in the hallways? Don't you have chem down the hall with Mr. Lapel?"

Chloe stumbled back, looking surprised. "Er- er yes, I do. Sorry Ms. Aldine."

She shot one last look at Fitz before taking off down the hallway, tripping on her untied shoelaces as she ran. There was icy silence until the door closed behind Chloe.

Sophie cursed under her breath. Of course the algebra teacher had to be a spy.

"Let's drop the theatrics," Ms. Aldine said calmly, her voice instantly deeper. "You five seem like an awfully happy little group, and I really do hate to kill you. But I'm afraid it's entirely necessary." She clicked her tongue. "Tsk tsk. If only you hadn't figured out our clever plan quite so thoroughly! Then maybe I could've let you live. Although I suppose, maybe even then..."

Keefe's harsh laughter interrupted her speech. "Oh please. You've got to be kidding me. It's five against one! The chance of you winning has got to be as high as-"

"Operation Takedown succeeding?" Ms. Aldine raised a patronizing eyebrow. "Oh, Agent KS! I remember when you were so little... your mother had such high hopes for your future- almost as high as her expectations. You really should've stayed with the Neverseen, Keefe. It's too bad you had to choose the losing side. I have a feeling we could've been great friends."

"Friends," Keefe spat. "Sure. Friends. Yeah, that sounds about right: BFFs forever, Keefe Sencen and Ms. Ald-"

"Oh please." Ms. Aldine rolled her eyes. "Call me by my real name. This is getting ridiculous, really! If it weren't my acting expertise, I'm not sure how anyone could have ever mistaken me for an algebra teacher."

"And what would your real name be?" Sophie piped up, pleased when her voice didn't shake.

Ms. Aldine smiled. "Oh Sophie. You should know- though I suppose you should have never guessed."

Sophie took in a sharp breath.

"My name is Jolie Ruewen."