"Are you okay?" Georgia asked with concern and I nodded my head. I was closer to her out of the two ever since Samantha started dating the quarterback of our school, Dean. She no longer ate with us and she was always pre-occupied, like she was now, pressed up against the locker by her boyfriend.

Georgia caught my gaze and we both simultaneously rolled our eyes before walking away to the next class, one that we had together. "Where were you on Friday?" She asked curiously and I shrugged one of my shoulders. "I was sick and I am feeling slightly better but still terrible. I may not be strong enough to come to school tomorrow so could you send me the homework?" I lied through my teeth and she gave me a sympathetic nod.

I knew to lie to my friend was probably not the best thing I had done but it was necessary, I couldn't just go around saying I was kidnapped and held hostage. That would lead back to my family, whose jobs I was still unclear of but I knew they were no regular people either.

Something was amiss, something about this deal that I was being hidden from for god knows why.

Also during the start of last year, we got to choose a person we could have all our classes with, so we had one familiar face when another school merged with ours. Now, our grade was quite big and since Sam chose Dylan, Georgia and I decided to stick together. So it made the most sense for me to ask her this simple favour.

The first lesson ran smoothly and I wasThe first lesson ran smoothly and I was glad I had English first because I always had a flair for languages. I knew a total of 3 languages; Spanish, English, and French. Though I found myself distracted today, unknowingly so, as my eyes constantly flitted to the window beside me.

Thunder clouds hung heavily in the air, almost tainting the sky with their darkness and casting shadows on everything it loomed upon. It was an undeniable fact that a storm was about to hit, gusts of wind making the grass in the lawn sway dangerously.

I felt a buzz of excitement while the sight of the wild weather entranced me. The rain had always been my favourite season, despite its fierceness.

I was so distracted, my pencil tapping against the table softly as my gaze was latched on the wide window that I hadn't noticed my name being called until someone tapped me on the shoulder gently.
My body shook slightly as I was brought back to reality, my ears tuning in to what the teacher opened her mouth to repeat, "Miss Hazel Summer, you have been called to the Principal's office."

Shock painted my features but I nodded my head, mechanically packing my items and getting up while my brain sorted through my thoughts as to why this was the case. Was it regarding my absence on Friday, because I made sure to call my form teacher with a sick excuse.

I walked towards the oak wood door briskly, knocking on it while a wave of worry washed over me. I was anxious, no doubt, anyone would be if they had been summoned HERE. It was generally for students with multiple crimes and for all I knew, I had done neither.

"Come in," The deep voice of Mr Rodriguez boomed and I did exactly what I was told, turning around and shutting the heavy door behind me before taking a step forward
towards the principal.

There was another person sitting, his back towards me and a slight Deja-vú washed over me on how familiar this setting was, except the last time this had happened in my old house.

"Thank you very much, could we please have a moment alone?" The familiar voice of the devil said and the principal nodded before leaving the room by a joint door that led him to the main office.

Why was he even here? He could get into so much trouble for even being out in the open with the many massacres he rained upon the people. No, I didn't worry at all if he was going to be sent to jail.

He could rot in a prison cell for all I cared but I knew that would take a major toll on the three new friends I had made, especially Izzy who did nothing wrong.

I folded my arms and drew on my blank mask on my features, making sure to conceal all the emotions that were usually visible in my eyes.

He stood up and turned around slowly, his eyes full of venom and anger. "Who the fuck gave you permission to come here?" He asked slowly, danger lacing the edges of his voice.

"Right, so I need permission to come to school now? I'm still a student, I need my education. And I didn't sneak out, I left with Izzy who offered to give me a ride." I snapped back and I saw him clench his fists as his jaw tightened.

His eyes darted to the camera at the side where the principal was surely watching us and I hide my smirk at the fact that he couldn't punch me now. I was safe from him here, just as I had been with my father. The school was, weirdly, my heaven.

"I'm not apologising for leaving to go to school because I will still continue to come every day andI will graduate  because I DESERVE that. I didn't do anything wrong to be trapped in your house the whole day while missing out on the opportunity to be educated," I said slowly and I watched as the fire in his eyes intensified before he charged at me, despite the surveillance.

I quickly backed away and felt the doorknob pressing into my back, not wasting any time as I let myself out before shutting the door and turned to run away. I must have looked crazy, fleeing with a look of pure determination to get away on my face but I didn't care anymore.

All of a sudden, I was stopped by a tight grip on my wrist and a jerk back as I felt my body hit another one behind me. I was spun around to face chris and I instinctively raised my hands to hide away my face, a gesture that had protected me more than one time over the past few years.

My shaking hands were brought down and I lifted my eyes to meet his, terror evident as I remembered the number of times I was hit by my father; the horrifying memories resurfacing. I had just left one destructive home to enter another, except this one was far worse because chris was far more dangerous.

My father didn't dare show up at my school, especially not in front of the swarm of students crowding around us now. Chris leaned in, his mouth near the side of my ear as he whispered, "Never run from me again."

His breath fanned against my ear, sending a slight shiver down my spine, but it wasn't out of pleasure. Instead, it was out of fear, fear of the underlying threat I could sense in his voice, fear of the unspoken punishment, fear of HIM.

In an instant, I was let go as he sauntered down the halls away from sight; people parting to let him through. He had only been here for less than ten minutes but it was like he owned the halls as he left me behind, swarming in confusion and anger.

I was sick and tired of being scared, it felt like that was the only emotion I was capable of feeling anymore. I was sick and tired of being controlled but more so I was sick and tired of being thrown into a life that I had absolutely no control over.

But there were too many gazes full of disbelief watching me, the girl who couldn't blend in the shadows any more, to let out the emotions threatening to spill. Because I was now in the spotlight and I couldn't hate anything more than this.

So, I just turned on my heel and walked out of school, my feet leading me far far away from my ruined sanctuary.

TBC

Will hazel be able to go to school tomorrow?

Will chris and her ever come to a peaceful truce?

Will this only add to the burning hatred hazel has for the cocky gang leader?

Do vote and comment ✨💝