31: Choices

Avery quickly walked away as more tears filled her eyes. Julian immediately followed after her.

"Avery," he began to say.

"I don't want to talk about it, Julian," she said, her voice shaky and uneven.

"Do you want me to leave you alone?" he asked.

"No," she said, her voice barely above a whisper.

He studied her expression for a moment. "Come on," he said finally.

Avery didn't protest. She just let him put his arm around her and take her up to his dorm. Avery felt dazed. First, her mother abandoned her, then she told Avery that she wanted nothing to do with her, now she shows up here and wants to be her family again. Avery did not know what to think anymore. She could barely even process the people who passed them as they went upstairs. Avery sat down on Julian's bed and the second Julian closed the door, that was when the tears really came.

"Hey, it's okay," Julian said, coming back over to her. He sat down next to her and let her bury her face in his shoulder.

"I don't know why I'm so upset, I don't want her in my life, but at the same time, I can't help but feel like I really hurt her."

"She kind of had it coming, Avery," Julian gently reminded her.

"Did you hear what she said about my dad?" she mumbled.

"You don't know the full story," he pointed out gently.

"It still hurts."

"I know, Avery," he murmured softly as he stroked her hair.

She put her arms around him and he shifted so that she was in his arms as well. They stayed like that until Avery no longer felt tears going down her face.

"Thanks," she mumbled.

"I'm guessing you don't want to go out and face everyone," Julian said.

"Absolutely not," she whispered.

"Don't worry, Cole can go spend the night in Brady's room and Brady will go to Chelsey's room," he said.

"We really have a whole system figured out, huh?" Avery said as she started to smile faintly.

"It worked the last time you slept over," he said playfully.

Avery looked up at him. He pushed the pink hair out of her face and stared back at her.

"Thank you for today as well, it really was perfect," she said. "You know except for Grace showing up."

"Are you going to tell your uncle she came to the school?" he asked.

"Should I?" she asked. "I mean just because I don't want her in my life doesn't mean I want to get her in trouble either."

"Then let's just forget about it," he suggested.

Later, when Avery felt better, she got up and Julian handed her one of his shirts and a pair of sweatpants. She went into the bathroom and washed her face. She brushed through her pink hair as well. She then changed out of her uniform and into his clothes and then came back out again. It was too early to sleep but Avery did not feel like doing much else today. She laid down on his bed as Julian pulled his laptop out.

"Do you want to watch a movie or something?" he offered. "Take your mind off everything?"

Avery nodded. "But I don't want to watch a movie, can you get the thumb drive out of my bag? It's in the front pocket."

Julian found it and plugged it into the laptop. He laid down next to her and Avery snuggled up into his side.

"Are you looking for something in particular?" he asked as he put his arm around her.