Chapter 8- Skirmish

Start from the beginning

Director: Oof, that was a bit too close. Better increase the altitude.

The drone steadily rises above its previous position in order to avoid being hit by the rocks. It stops and resumes it's observation.

Director: ...

Morgan: Keep at it men! They're bound to stop soon!

Random archer: Captain! Haah haah...

An archer dressed in armored plating approaches the captain panting and breathing heavily. His armor is different from the rest of the archers who are using light robes, signifying that he has a higher rank. Morgan puts his right hand on the staggered archer's shoulder.

Morgan: Arquebus, looks like this wandering around has taken a toll on you hehe. What's the status here?

Arquebus: Ammo is running very low. We can't supply them fast enough, the caches are too far.

Morgan: Where's Tacitus?

Arquebus: Probably still walking towards here. That old man is at the brink of the collapse.

Morgan: Yeah, if only the Royal Legion gave a damn about this city. Maybe they'd send us more men or perhaps some light wizardry.

Random Soldier: They've reached the moat!

Arquebus: Oh no, is the West moat even deep enough?

Morgan: Guess I'll find out. See you later.

Morgan moves towards the stairs leading down as he slides his visor down to cover his face. Arquebus grabs an arrow from his quiver and continues shooting.

Director: ...

The drone gets a brief glimpse at the enemies who are dying in the hundreds and slowly filling the moat. Most if not all succumb to the seemingly unending rain of arrows and the devastating volleys of rocks. It then flies back to spot Morgan rallying his men, sword in one hand and shield on the other.

A wide field, surrounded by steel fences separating the wall and the town proper serves as a buffer between the savage Stags racing for the drawbridge and the civilians hiding in their homes. Morgan's soldiers amass behind the gatehouse. A combination of swordsmen, spearmen and halberdiers comprise his forces. Soldiers at the front wear iron plate armor and wield a wooden shield alongside their weapons while holding a tight formation with their pikes and spears at the front and halberds at the back. Meanwhile the rear guard have light chainmail and small, maneuverable arming swords for close quarters combat.

*Thump*

Another volley from the artillery is launched over the walls.

Artillery officer: Rearm!

Morgan: Okay men! The archers are having a tough time keeping the enemies suppressed, they've already reached the moat meaning it's only a matter of time and bodies before it's overcome. They're gonna go for the gate and they CANNOT, I repeat they CAN NOT break through at this point otherwise they'd be streaming into the city.

Artillery officer: Release!

*Thump*

Another volley is launched.

Artillery officer: Rearm!

Morgan: Prepare for contact. The bridge will open so we don't have to deal with all the Stags all at once if they were to break through.

Arquebus: Raise the gates! The moat is filling up!

Gatekeeper: Got it! Heave!

Director: This is getting interesting...

Alicia: Indeed.

The drone moves forward and sees the drawbridge being lowered incrementally. It then drops once it got low enough as the heavy wood makes contact with the ground. Now the Stags, apparently sensing an opportunity, make a beeline for the lowered bridge. Morgan's men get in formation as the Stags approach.

*Whoosh*

*Crack*

Suddenly the camera feed from the drone cuts out. The audio becomes a buzzing static and the controls become unresponsive.

Director: What the? What happened?

Alicia: Huh?

Helmet: Traveller drone offline.

Director: Did it run out of battery or something?

Helmet: Unlikely, last reported battery level was at 69%.

Director: Well I guess we won't see what happens next.

Alicia: Oh? I guess we should go back down now.

Director: Do we have to? Let's enjoy the sunlight for a bit.

Alicia: Okay.

Director: Ah... what a lovely day. I can stay here and breathe fresh air all day long.

Alicia: ...

Director: Do you have people here often?

Alicia: No... this is actually the first time I've sat here with someone in a while...

Director: What an honor. Thank you for this.

Alicia: You're welcome.

The sounds of war can still be heard in the distance with the artillery firing volleys and arrow carriages still being carried across the streets. Director and Alicia mostly ignores it however and enjoy the tranquility. They stay like that for half an hour.

*BOOM*

Director: Yo what the hell?!

Director stands up from his chair and looks towards the source of the sound, the West gate. The archers have stopped firing arrows and the artillery has silenced, a large smoke plume is in front of the gatehouse. The soldiers suddenly erupt into applause. Claps and shouts of glee resonate through the town.

Director: Seems like they've won the battle.

Alicia: ...

Director: Hey Alicia, let's go back down in case anyone needs treatment.

Alicia: ...

Director: Alicia?

Alicia: ...

Alicia has fallen asleep on her chair, her head tilted to the right as she breathes lightly through her mouth.

Director: Aw, she fell asleep. Better not wake her up.

*Excessively loud knocking*

Alicia: Huh?

Director: Oh you're awake now. (So much for that.)

Alicia: Yeah *yawns* this sunlight just saps away my energy..

She wipes her eyes with her hands.

Director: Someone's at the door, they might need some help. Let's go back down.

Alicia: Sure.

After opening Alicia's umbrella, the two walk to the door leading downstairs. As Director and Alicia go down the stairs, the knocks get louder and more frequent. Sensing the urgency, the two rush down the last few steps and open the door.

At the door stands Arquebus with Morgan holding onto his shoulder for support. Morgan's right leg has a slash wound, preventing him from standing on his own. Blood slowly drips onto the pavement with sweat running down from both of their faces.

Arquebus: Help...

-End of Chapter-