Chapter 8- Skirmish

Morgan: Get those arrows where they need to be!

Director steps out of the clinic at the sound of Morgan's voice directing his men towards the gate where an attack is apparently happening.

Director: Hey Morgan, what's happening?

Morgan: Oh Director, glad to see you doing well (and not causing me trouble). The Stags have changed their direction of attack, they used to only attack at the North but a new pod apparently opened up West.

Director: Is that why you guys are in such a hurry?

Morgan: Yeah, it's quite a hassle towing around so much heavy equipment and running from post to post but that's just life for us.

Random Soldier: CONTACT!!! Open fire!

Artillerymen simultaneously pull on the lanyards of their catapults and fling dozens of stone projectiles over the wall. A few moments pass and the impact of the rocks are felt on the ground, the men scramble to reload their slow firing weapons with metal cranking bars while some archers are still running towards their positions.

Morgan: Anyway, I have to go and tend to my men. See you later!

Director: Good luck!

Morgan nods at Director in response as he disappears into the crowd of men flocking at the gates. Director then walks back inside the clinic. There he sees Alicia at the window looking curiously at the soldiers running towards the gate.

Director: You alright?

Alicia: Yeah.

Director: You look kinda tense, are you perhaps nervous that the Stags might break through.

Alicia: Uhum.

Director: Don't worry, they can handle it.

Alicia: I hope so.

Director: I kinda wanna see the battle unfolding though. But Morgan would probably be livid if I meddled in things I shouldn't.

Alicia: We can go to the roof, it won't be high enough to look beyond the wall though.

Director: (Oh wait, don't I have a drone on me?)

Director: Hey suit, do I have a drone on my armor?

Helmet: Affirmative, traveller armor has access to a standard issue reconnaissance drone.

Director: Hey Alicia, can you show me to the roof?

Alicia: Sure. Also, who were you talking to?

Director: My armor.

Alicia: Is it a spirit?

Director: You could say that.

Alicia leads Director to a door at the back of the medical ward which reveals a set of stairs. They climb it and reach a second floor at the middle of the stairs.

Director: Is this where you live?

Alicia: Uhum.

Director: (The room is mostly dark with a single bed, drawer, desk and chair.)

They continue walking and reach the rooftop through a door. Alicia then picks up a small umbrella before stepping into the rooftop with Director. The breeze whistles pass them and the sounds of war emanates from the West.

Arrows in the hundreds are fired in volleys at the enemies, each volley being followed swiftly by the next. Occasionally, rocks are thrown from the artillery and land on the ground outside the wall with smoke plumes emerging from the few incendiary munitions that get launched from the larger artillery pieces.