"You did not dress her up as a minion." I exclaim, opening my arms as Claudia comes bounding towards me. She snuffles against my legs, her eyes gleaming through the goggles perched atop of them. Blue overalls coat the bottom of her body, a yellow hood covering the top of her head. Fabric arms stick out from the side of the costume, wobbling around with Claudia's movements. 

"Of course. Family trick or treating." Christian brushes the comment off, as if what he's done isn't completely insane. He reaches towards me, attaching Claudia's leash to the side of her collar. Her eyes manage to light up at the action, almost pulling Christian's arm off as she propels herself forward.

"Alright, someone else lead the way because I have no idea where I'm going."

...

Our tiring group traipses along a final street, our eyes meeting the practically bursting house, a party in full swing. 

We'd decided to go trick-or-treating for a while in a nearby neighbourhood, before eventually showing up at a party hosted by the swim team. Mostly because I promised I'd be there. But, with the swim team being there, we all know who else will be. Which, contrary to my crying soul, I've limited myself to 2 drinks tonight. No more, and no less if I have it my way. 

I don't think we'll stay very long tonight, just long enough so I can say hi to the people needed, and to have a dance or two. To be frank, I'm absolutely exhausted, and staying late partying isn't looking too appetizing right now. And without an abundance of alcohol to stir me on, I'm even less enthralled. 

Lera and Christian dropped Claudia and our overflowing bags of candy off after our trick-or-treating, on the way to the deafeningly loud house. I almost shudder at the thumping music, my brain almost feeling the killing headache I'm sure that will follow tonight. 

"Alright, game plan. Get in, say hi to people we don't actually like and compliment their shit costumes, dance to a few song, have no more than 2 drinks, get out and get into bed. Oh, and if you see me drinking more than 2 drinks, please cut me off. Clear?" I turn to my friends, pointing my plastic wand at each of them. I'm determined to make tonight one that I won't regret tomorrow morning. Meaning, our game plan must be tight, with little leniency.

"Yes ma'am." Christian salutes me, the arch on his nose making it hard to take him seriously.

"Try not to fall asleep please Grandpa's. Remember you're at a frat party, not the nursing home bingo night." Casey and Christian share a knowing look, shaking their head at me with a small smile. I ignore them, taking a deep breath before I lead my friends through the large, oak front door. 

Bright lights blind me as we step inside the chaos, my chest thumping from the music's vibrations. The house has been 'decorated', with a few stray, hopeless looking spiderwebs hanging from corners of the roof. So, so, scary. 

We weave through the masses of intoxicated people, thrashing their bodies against each other forcefully. And to be honest, that'd probably be me, if I wanted to end the night in a mistake like last time. 

No thanks.

I latch on to Persephone's hand, pulling her towards the drink table. It's overflowing with a disastrous amount of liquor, a stack of red cups accompanying them. I reach forward, grabbing myself a cup, a vodka soda glugging itself steadily into it. I turn around to my friends, amusement sitting on their lips. My eyes flick between Christian and Casey as they share a secret look. 

"What? Why are you looking at me like that?" Their eyes shoot to me, chuckles exiting their lips. Suddenly, Christian reaches forward, grabbing my empty wrist.

"Hey-" Casey whips a marker out of his pocket, thrashing a mark onto my bare skin.

"It's so we can keep track of you. You're a flight-risk Mel, you need to be looked after." Christian explains, handing me my wrist back. He floats back to Lera side, her eyes rolling back as she laughs softly.