Chapter Nine: Behind Closed Doors

Start from the beginning

"I saw Arthur kissing the princess." Merlin finally admitted and Gwen's face crumpled into something Merlin couldn't quite understand.

"He kissed her?" She blinked, "why would he do that?"

"Because they're falling in love." Merlin guessed, "I'm not sure but he was adamant on explaining."

"What did he say?" She questioned.

Merlin sighed, "I wouldn't let him talk to me."

"Merlin." She spoke sternly.

"I could not hear his excuses, Guinevere." He shook his head, "I could not take another moment near him."

"Oh, Merlin." She looked devastated for him, "I know it's hard, but you both deserve a conversation."

"I-" Merlin started but Gwen stood up.

"Come, we're going to talk to Arthur." She extended her hand to Merlin and he sighed.

"I think I just need some time alone." He didn't budge from his seat and she only shook her head.

"Merlin, trust me." Merlin nodded and took her hand.

"Only because I trust you." He admitted.

"Good." She smiled, "now let's get some answers."

Merlin felt his stomach drop but he agreed and they left his room promptly. He looked back at his shut door wishing he'd stayed. He didn't know what he would say to Arthur when he saw him. He hadn't even thought about it. His mind was racing as they weaved through the massive corridors; there were too many possibilities he couldn't predict and it made his head swim. This all felt like too much for the young wizard. He was about to pull away and back out when they stepped in front of Arthur's door.

"Are you ready?" She dropped his hand and looked at him with soft eyes.

"Actually, I think I'm going to go back to my chambers." Merlin shook his head, "this was a mistake."

Before he could step away Arthur's room door swung open to reveal a disheveled looking Prince. He was still wearing his night clothes, his hair was a mess, his eyes were puffy, and his lips were swollen. Arthur stopped dead in his track and looked at Merlin as though he was his saving grace. It made Merlin want to burst into tears. Gwen stepped away without a word and both men stared at each other not sure what to say or do.

Merlin spoke up first, "I heard the news."

"So have I." Arthur's voice cracked and Merlin had never seen the prince look so small.

"I thought you'd be-" Merlin's face flushed.

"I didn't kiss her, Merlin." Arthur pulled Merlin into his room and shut the door behind them.

The room was dark and only small streaks of sunlight slipped between the curtains. Merlin could only make out Arthur's taller figure in front of him. The dark somehow made it easier for him to breathe, their conversation no longer felt as heavy as it did in the hallway. The room was cooler than the rest of the castle and the chill made Arthur's warmth radiate around Merlin.

"I do not love her, Merlin." Merlin felt Arthur take his hand and he couldn't help but let him.

"Then why are you marrying her?" Merlin looked down at their intertwined hands and felt his stomach flutter.

"I have no choice." Arthur took a step closer and Merlin's breath caught in his throat, "I do not want her, Merlin, she is not who my heart desires."

Merlin could hear his heart pounding in his ears, "who does your heart desire?"

Merlin could feel Arthur's breath tickle his lips and he felt Arthur's hand on his neck. He softly pulled Merlin into a kiss and Merlin instantly wrapped his hands around Arthur's waist. His eyes fluttered shut and he melted in Arthur's hands. The kiss was gentle and the exact opposite of what Merlin would have expected from Arthur.

Merlin felt a surge of energy flow through his body. His chest filled with a bright glow and the warmth spread across his body. He deepened the kiss pulling Arthur closer to him. The room glowed with a golden hue that was so bright it burned a bit of Merlin's shirt.

Merlin abruptly pulled away though he could've stayed there forever. The flood of light disappeared before Arthur opened his eyes and Merlin quickly crossed his arms over his chest to hide his zinged shirt.

"I'm sorry-" Arthur started but Merlin shook his head.

"No, don't be." Merlin reached out for him and Arthur took his hand, "I-I just can't believe I finally kissed you."

"Finally." Arthur chuckled and Merlin felt his face flush with a deep blush.

"Yes, finally." Merlin admitted.

Arthur chuckled and pulled him into another kiss. Merlin ran his hands through Arthur's hair as the Prince deepened the kiss. Arthur tightened his grip on Merlin's waist. Their kiss became feverish and even a little desperate.

Arthur pulled back a bit and murmured against Merlin's lips, "finally."