Chapter Five: One Cup Of Mead

Start from the beginning

"I hope I didn't offend you, Merlin." His words came out sincere and Merlin wasn't sure how to react, "and none, I'm confident that tonight will go by just fine without us trying to avoid the Princess."

"I see." Merlin murmured, "you must really like her."

"No." Arthur answered rather quickly, "I just want tonight to go by with as little problems as possible."

Merlin nodded though he didn't look convinced. Arthur sighed and rested his hands on Merlin's shoulders. Merlin stopped tying and looked up at Arthur once again.

"I promise, Merlin." Arthur smiled, "there's nothing more going on."

"I believe you." Merlin nodded though Arthur could still hear the hesitation in his voice.

Arthur dropped his arms and moved to check himself in the mirror. He could see Merlin staring at him from the reflection but didn't point it out. He could feel his stomach twist with nerves; no one has ever looked at him the way Merlin was looking at him right now. His eyes were filled with sincerity, his cheeks were flushed, and Arthur could tell he was in awe. He smiled at his reflection and then turned back to Merlin who blinked and looked away.

"How do I look?" Arthur raised an eyebrow and Merlin felt a lump form in his throat.

"You look-you-" Merlin sputtered.

"Go on, Merlin spit it out." Arthur chuckled and Merlin's cheeks burned with a bright blush.

"You look amazing, Arthur." Merlin spoke with a sincerity that made Arthur's heart sink to his stomach.

They both shared a small smile and without a word they both made a move to go down to the ball. Merlin's heart was thumping hard against his chest and he wasn't sure what else to say to the prince; he was far too nervous to think of anything. Arthur wanted to pull Merlin to the side one last time and show him how he really felt; to truly reassure him but he knew better. His kingdom relied on him, his father would be disappointed if he knew what Arthur truly thought. Arthur looked down at his shoes and sighed. Some days he wished he wasn't a prince just so he could be his full self without worrying about the backlash.

They made it to the stairs case and made their way down. The ball had started without them but no one seemed to notice. Arthur instantly went to his fathers side and Merlin followed shortly behind him. Uther gave Arthur a stank eye but kept the smile on his face so the guest wouldn't suspect he was upset. Arthur only stood tall trying his best to act natural in front of everyone. He could feel his stomach churning the longer he stood by his father; he just wanted this night to be over.

The Princess entered the ballroom and the entire room paused at her presence. She looked absolutely stunning and everyone knew it. Her hair was curled into an intricate bun while stray curls framed her face, her pale blue dress hugged her bust, and she almost radiated pure beauty. Merlin felt his chest ache as he watched the way Arthur's eyes followed the Princess.

She approached the three men and curtsied in front of Uther and Arthur. Both men bowed before her and Arthur kissed the back of her gloved hand. Merlin felt his neck start to burn with shame but he only looked away and focused on the other guests in the room. He could see the knights in the corner drinking mead and laughing together, other esteemed guests mingled, and he could see Gaius talking to an older woman he wasn't familiar with.

"Excuse me." Merlin mumbled and Arthur nodded.

Merlin stepped away and felt the weight on his shoulders lift. He quickly made his way to the knights where he knew that he wouldn't feel as upset around them. The knights immediately noticed Merlin and all gave him cheerful greetings. He returned it though his heart wasn't in it.