Almost there... and yet, so far

Start from the beginning

„Now", she smiled, „Would you be a dear and fetch the decorations from the attic while I put on my coat?"

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x

„Finally I get what that thing is good for." She smirked as she was lining up the Christimas ornaments and candy canes to dangle from his hook for easy access.

„The only reason you're not familiar with any other purpose is that I've made the conscious decision to spare your life and not rip out your throat with it."

She straight out burst into laughter at his comment.

„What's so funny?"

„Oh, I... I'm sorry, honey, I thought you were joking? Thinking you could best me?"

„I could if I wanted to!"

„Now now, let's not get ahead of ourselves and ruin the festive mood, shall we?"

With that, he decided to shut up. Indeed, he was supposed to flirt with her, to court her, not to provoke her and threaten to kill her! Even though that might just be the thing to give a kick to the former Evil Queen, what in the bloody hell was wrong with him? He could barely believe how nervous he was all of a sudden around her, her smile alone rendering him completely defenseless, like a lovestruck youngster who was clumsily trying to find his way around women for the very first time.

Piece by piece, they added the decorations to the tree, until only the centerpiece was left, a big star to grace the tip of the tree.

„Would you hold the ladder?", she asked, „I'll put it up."

With concern he looked down at her feet, dressed in her usual stiletto heeled boots. „Are you sure, love? Maybe I'd rather take this one."

She shook her head. „It's quite tricky to attach, you'd need two hands for it."

„Just use magic then?"

„No! We've done everything by hand. We'll finish it the right way. Don't get your knickers in a twist I've survived worse than a ladder climb."

She took the steps one by one, careful not to get her thin heels caught in them. When she had successfully completed her task, she had to catch her balance for a brief moment at the very top of the ladder, and Killian almost had a heart attack. „REGINA! Be careful!"

She lifted her hands to calm him down. „Alright, alright! Easy, I'm good. I'm coming down."

One step, two... three... and then it happened: her boot got caught in the stairs and her hands reached into thin air failing to catch a grip. With a gasp she landed safely in his waiting arms, instinctively clinging to his broad shoulders looking at him with surprise, fixating on his blue eyes that looked at her full of worry.

„I got you... Are you okay, are you hurt?"

„I'm okay. And the star, how is it?"

He was completely hypnotized by her gaze, her ruby lips almost black against her white skin in the soft porch light, her warm breath forming soft clouds in the cold winter air. Her face was so close to his that he could feel it tickle his skin.

„Beautiful", he whispered in awe.

„You didn't even look."

„I don't need to."

Her own heart was pounding inside her chest, her ears were ringing and she was quite relieved that he held her. What was going on? How was it that she could just never resist his beautiful blue eyes? No matter whether he was a policeman, a pirate or now a bartender and her roommate...