Chapter one

Chapter One
Songs for this chapter: n/a
Maeve's POV:

Swiftly slipping my right hand into the vulnerable pocket of the young woman chatting away unsuspectingly. with a boy that looked around her age, I wrapped my rather long, skin fingers around a leathery, rectangular object. Bingo.

I cautiously eased my hand out, careful not to alert the woman. $125 bucks. Not bad, could've been better, but not bad. I stuffed the money quickly into my back pocket before simply dropping the wallet onto the ground. I placed the black sun glasses back onto the bridge if my nose before lightly tapping on the girl's shoulder. She turned around, an annoyed look crossing her face as she met my gaze. "Can I help you?" She nearly snarled. Bitch.

"Um, I believe you dropped your wallet. Wouldn't want anyone snatching that up, now would you?" I pulled a fake smile onto my face while the girl looked down at her empty wallet that laid on the black concrete.
"Oh, thank you," she said, faking a sweet tone. I refrained from growling her and simply shot her another false smile, then turned and walked away; with an extra $125 in my pocket that is.

A proud smirk crawled onto my face as I strutted down the crowded street of LA. Unfortunately, this is my life style. Pick pocketing, stealing, hiding away in dark, vile alleys, but what else am I going to do? This is the only thing I know... I don't have the proper education to have decent job, nor can I just live like any other homeless person, digging through trash cans for food and living behind dumpsters. Not that my current 'home' is any better.

But, it's not my fault my life is like this. It's my blood parents. It's their fault.

No one even glanced my way as I slipped into the familiar back alleyway. The striped, tattered shirt covering my body rubbed uncomfortably against my skin. The ripped shorts occupying the tops of my thighs were a bit too tight. I peaked behind me, making sure no one was walking by before slipping the shirt off and exchanging it for the newer black one I had purchased earlier at a cheep store not too far from here. It was far more comfortable. Exhaling softly, I leaned back against the rough brick wall, fingers gripping the rift fabric of the short.

I was pretty much immune to the horrid stench of rotting food and strange, old oils by now. Although, every now and then the disgusting scent would become too much and I've have to go out for a bit, but it's not like the intoxicating smell of the bustling city is any better. It still reeks of gasoline, alcohol, and people. Filthy people. Sadly, there's not too much someone like me could do about that.

I sat there, back flush against the bricks, head resting atop my knees, arms curled around my legs. My stomach roared to life after a while as hungry flared up inside of me. Shocker. I haven't eaten since yesterday evening, and that meal only contained a burger I ordered from McDonald's and a small soda.

Clamping my eyes shut, I reluctantly stood up from the ground, grooming a hand through my unruly hair. Good god, my hair. Haven't washed it in quite a while... nor have I bathed in predictably over a week; and that was just in the ocean, which probably doesn't count... I probably stick just as bad as the alleyway, for gods sake. Wouldn't be too surprised if people start to go green when walking by me...

The sky had gone a deep blue, mixed with a gorgeous violet, and a brilliant orange that curled itself around the sun like a shield. A few stars shimmered and flickered in the darkening sky. The street lamps and the lights inside buildings illuminated the still crowded and loud streets.

My feet guided my fully out of the alley after a moments hesitation. First things first, find a place to take a quick shower. Heard the beach has these little stalk things near the board walk that people clean up in, even have soap and towels. Yeah, that seems like a pretty good idea.

The beach is not to far, a few blocks at most...

-
-

Let's just say, that plan went pretty well. I smell a hella lot better, my hair damp but has a silky feel, and the first and grime that coated my skin are now in the sewers. I then slipped back into my new shirt and same tight ripped shorts along with the sane old worn tennis shoes I had been wearing for over a year now.

Shoes are hard to get cheep...

Brushing a strand of moist hair from my eyes, I trotted into town with a revived scenes of self confidence. Now food... My eyes wandered over the area curiously. No sign of a- affordable, food place. A stifled whine of frustration managed to creep past my closed lip. My hunger seem to enlarge by the second. There were so many restaurants, but not one I would be able to eat in.

Growling under my breath, I decided to resort to my last option at the moment, then let my eyes travel around the area in search of a decent victim. Suddenly, they caught on a rather wealthy looking boy sitting at a table with his muscular tattooed arm wrapped around a plastic whore, and two other guys with other Barbie dolls tucked under arm. There were half empty plates set before them, meaning soon enough they'd be paying the bill.

That's, when I come in.