13

"I really like to party, I really like to party, I really like to party, I cannot contro-"

Afya shut off her morning alarm with excitement this morning. She was full of joy and energy, even if it was 7am on a Friday.

"I'm going to see him play."

That was the sentence, the only thought, on her mind in the morning currently. After all, she had waited to see her friend play professional football for years now, it was only right that she celebrated the chance of even seeing him on the bench, let alone watch him play.

When Bukayo left the other day, Afya was left alone to think for a while, however. She began to wonder what exactly was do important to Sabrina that meant she couldn't support Bukayo. Different scenarios came up, each one of them not making sense.

And why exactly was it that the boy himself did not know the reason why the girl he was apparently interested in, and who was apparently interested in him, did not turn up?

At the end of it, Afya decided it was not her place to determine why someone was not able to make it. After all, there were plenty of times where she herself had not been able to make it to events and other important things because she had many tasks to perform that were necessary.

Afya felt that this was indeed going to be a eventful day, which required good luck and hard work. So, she decided to also contribute to the good luck by blasting her playlist.

I'd like to remind you all that it was still around 7am on a Friday. Believe me, the woman knew of this, but could care less as to whether the people rooming next to her would complain or not.

'Ohemaa' by Kuami Eugene and KiDi was playing as Afya sang along contentedly, dancing in time to the music. It was only a matter of time, in fact, that she heard two knocks on her door.

Pausing the music, Afya went to go answer the door, which revealed no one else but Yaw and Kweku, looking very annoyed.

"Ei, Afya? So you are dancing to Kuami Eugene and KiDi this early in the morning?" Yaw giggled.

"My brother, I am even surprised she is awake," Kweku sniggered. "The way this girl likes to sleep is worrying oo."

Afya rolled her eyes. "Did you submit your set list?" she asked, trying to change the subject.

The boys both nodded. "But don't try and change the subject," said Kweku. "We know it's matchday today."

"How-"

"Oh come on Afya, you should know us by now! We have our ways," Yaw said, wiggling his eyebrows.

"Well then, in that case, you'll be coming with me?"

"Wrong. Tickets sold out aaaaages ago. We'd have to sit on top of other people to watch the game," replied Kweku, shaking his head. "Besides, I'm sure you would appreciate some 'alone time' with your boyfriend."

Afya gave them both an unimpressed look as they laughed.

"Whatever. Do we have anything that we need to do today? "

"Yup, but it's in the evening. We're driving back to where we perform, to have our first practice."

"Fair enough. Tell Madame where I am, I'll be back before 5."

"5?!"

Afya nodded. "Nice to see you all, okay bye now!"

She slammed the door in their faces before sighing and jumping around again. She quickly walked over to her phone, and resumed the music.

Today was going to be a good day.

***

"B, stop worrying! It's only 7 in the morning, I'm sure she remembered."

Bukayo was currently pacing his room back and forth, which was a common habit for him. It showed he was either worried or stressed, and this time, it seemed a confident mixture of both.

Jude shook his head at the anxious state of his friend.

"Yeah, but what if she doesn't come at all?" Bukayo asked frantically. "What if-what if her performance thing gets canceled and she has to go back? What if it turns out that her performance is actually today? What if she just laughs and says it was a joke, and she meant to say no way? What if-"

"What if you stop worrying Bukayo! What if, instead of focusing if she's gonna come, focus on yourself doing well? Cmon bro," Jude reasoned. "Whether she comes or not, this is an important game. We've made it to the semis!"

"True," his friend muttered. "Alright, fine. Maybe I was getting a little overworked over nothing."

"I mean, it's natural to want to see your girlfriend support you," Jude replied, shrugging.

"Yeah, I know."

Jude widened his eyes. "So she is your girlfriend! I KNEW IT!"

"What? No she's not! When did I say that?"

"Well, you didn't exactly deny it when I said so," replied Jude, winking. "Trust me, you're gonna end up together one day, I can see it."

Bukayo roles his eyes. "You are such a child."

"Well, the child has helped bring the senior team to where we are now. You coming for breakfast?"

"Well, if I'm going to do anything useful today, it's not starving to do death."

"Cmon then."

They began to leave the room, but just then Bukayo got a message. He read it and smiled.

❤️😍🥰😗🥺💓💋💌💘💝💖💗💞: hey its me, can't wait to see you play today

BESTO FRIENDO: 🥰

"Who is it?" asked Jude. "Helloooo - bro? You good?"

He looked over his friend's shoulder and gasped dramatically. "Why is her name literally every single emoji related to love?"

"To show, um, that's she a lovely person."

"Yeah right."

"Yeah, I am right."

"You're whipped."

"Am not."

"Yes you are," giggled Jude. "And the sooner you realise, the better, in my opinion."

Bukayo sighed. "Let's just go and eat breakfast."

"Fine by me."

Bukayo knew his friend meant well, but sometimes it was hard to ignore the urge to drop kick him across Wembley. There was a grain of truth in what Jude was saying, however Bukayo did not like the sound of it.

"Me? Whipped? Over Afya? No way."

But if Bukayo was telling the truth, he would admit that he had a slight crush on the girl. Just a small one mind you. A completely and utterly normal one that he regarded as just normal old puppy love. He'd felt it many times before.

But why did it feel different now?