8. A Coming of Age Ritual

'You awake?'

'Yes. I'm surprised you are. It's three in the morning' Kiara was leaning against the headboard next to her sister, trying not to fall asleep when her phone chimed.

'Couldn't sleep. What about you?'

'I had the weirdest day ever. I'm not allowed to tell you. I think you won't believe me even if I tell you'

'Try me'

'No. Not my secret to tell but I think I need an escape plan from this town'

The reply came a couple of minutes later 'Is it that bad?'

'These people, they are strangers to us. I don't feel comfortable here. I feel suffocated. It's not safe, especially for Misha'

'Did they hurt her?'

'Not yet. I just don't want her to be involved in this'

'What are you going to do?'

'I don't know. What do you think I should do?'

'I can't tell you what to do if I don't know what happened. Did they hurt you?'

'No. They lied to us. My uncle has been lying to his entire family all this time. I can't believe love can make people this stupid'

'Love is supposed to make people irrational. That's the beauty of it. It consumes your mind. It's like a high without drugs'

'And you think that's okay? You could do that? Be one of those people?'

'I think there's no shame in being one of those people. I think it's okay to be all consumed in love'

'Even if it hurts others?'

'I don't think you will like my answer. I can't lie to you, remember?'

'God!'

Kiara couldn't believe that. She thought Wolf was a rational person. She thought their thoughts were similar. They never spoke about love or relationships but now that she thought about it, she felt like there was something very obvious here that she was missing.

'Does that scare you?' He asked

'It changes my perception of you'

'What was your perception of me before this?'

'That you are sane'

'Believing in the power of love makes me insane?'

'To be blinded by love and taking stupid decisions makes you insane'

'You are afraid you will end up doing something stupid like your uncle'

No. I am confident I am not wired that way'

'You are confident? Never? What if it's worth it?'

'One person could never be worth so much to me that I would leave everyone and everything I love behind for that person. I could never be that selfish'

'People move for jobs all the time'

'I didn't'

'So, you will stay in the same place for the rest of your life?'

'That's not what I meant. I would never move to a place where my family needs permission to enter. I could never be with someone who makes me hide from my own family. Could you?'