Chapter Sixty-two

Start from the beginning

Jerome steps between them as David rushes to his feet, a red trail dripping from his left nostril. The former couple glare at each other with scorned intensity, and Jerome's grateful that looks can't kill.

"So we're hitting each other now," David asks her, and she shrugs nonchalantly, shaking her burning hand. The trio of thirteen-year-olds stop in the middle of the road across from the house and watch the scene.

"No use pretending like it's our first time." David chuckles, then drags the back of his hand across his philtrum.

He bends down, his eyes trained on hers behind Jerome's protective barrier. He lifts the sheet he brought with him and extends it to her, but before she can reach around to grab it, Jerome snatches it in his right hand.

"Even after she cheated on you, you're still ready to save her." David lets out a scoff after he runs his eyes across Jerome with disgust. "And she's convinced I'm not a real man. At least I know when to send a lousy car back to the factory."

"Compare me to something else. Give me a reason to hit you again," she yells, a vein forming on her neck. Stevie stands between the handles and his seat, his black and white Chuck Taylors on the pavement.

"No one's hitting no one!" David sits his fist in his left hand and pops his knuckles. Stevie glances at the boy accompanying him, then at the girl. With a stern tone, Jerome says, "Judy, go inside while things are copastetic."

"While things are copastetic? Nothing about this is copastetic," she declares with air quotes, and Jerome rolls his eyes. Stevie swings his right leg around to the other, then walks his bicycle to the edge of his yard. "You lied about us, and then you threw my Dad's death in my face to hurt me? After everything I've done to keep the peace between us, you shit on my feelings?"

"Spare me the theatrics, Judy." David throws his hand up, fanning away her comments with insensitivity. "I told you I only told Mary because she was on my back about you and me."

"Then why'd Justin say you told everyone we had sex?" Jerome scrunches his eyebrows and looks at her over his shoulder. Stevie strolls past the mailbox, his friends watching him.

"Who the fuck is Justin," David asks, peering from his left to his right. They watch as her youngest brother continues past while glaring at David.

"Stevie, go inside," she instructs him, but he stops beside her ex and drops his bike on the steps.

"Jive turkey," Stevie says, looking him up and down. Jerome snickers as he folds the paper, knowing his comment fueled David's rage.

Judith's eyes widen, and David looks at her reaction as Jerome tucks the paper into his pocket. David scoffs at her brother, then steps to him.

"Little man," he begins, taking a deep breath of the afternoon air. "I think you'd better listen to your sister and walk inside while your teeth are still clicking."

"Don't threaten him." She steps to Jerome's right, and he turns on his heels, then places his hand on her stomach to keep her away from David. David and Stevie continue scowling in silence.

Though he's towering over him, Stevie refuses to let himself cower away. His usual tactic of scrunching his face to intimidate doesn't work on Stevie, and the way David shifts his jaw as his teeth grind reveals that he knows he's not afraid.

David licks his lips before they dry, then he scrapes the bottom one between his teeth and looks at Judith.

"Your brother best head inside while I'm in a good mood," he warns her. She looks at Stevie as he folds his hands into fists, waiting to strike him.