61. Separation | جدائی

Start from the beginning

But love is not enough. Trust is another most vital ingredient to form a relationship. You can live without love, but you cannot live without trust and respect.

Even though she did trust him, she still couldn’t bring herself together to come terms with the idea of sharing her life with someone again; to trust someone again. It was difficult, beyond difficult for her. And she didn’t know if she’d ever be able to come over this unbridled fear of hers.

Then there was another reason for her repulsion towards the idea of their alliance.

She wasn’t just scared for herself. She was scared about him, too.

She had all the reasons to be.

Just a few miles away from her, he was spotted right where she had left him. Snow was falling on him as it picked up speed, but he didn’t feel its weight because the weight of his heart was heavier. Even heavier than the mountains which were crooning the melancholic song of separation in slow whispers.

Even the kind weather seemed unkind. But so was the brusque turn his life had just taken. An acrid taste burnt in his mouth as he recalled the event that had happened just an hour ago.

Just how obliterate this last hour had been proved.

Just how ephemeral their love had been

******

“I’ll just get done with the rest of the packing.” Asmara’s voice jarred through the room as soon as she came out of shower.

Arham who was busy on call, craned his head towards her; the locks of her damp hair sliding from the back and forming a curtain around her. He smiled. Few days back who could’ve thought the same people who promised each other to part ways would only part way to find it back to each other only.

Shoving the phone in his pocket, he took calculated steps towards her. “I can’t wait for you to turn our house into a home.”

She heaved up from where she was bent over her back placed on the bed and turned towards him. She posed a smile, but the marks of exhaustion stamped all over her face couldn’t be obscured by it. She was visibly frazzled with so much going on. His heart ached to take her away. Far away from this mess. She deserved to live a normal life without constantly having to worry about her life being at stake.

He moved the stray tendril of her hair away from her face. His fingers grazing over her soft skin. Her toes curled and she shuddered a breath, their eyes fixed into each other.

“I can’t believe You and I are finally We.” His voice was low as he brandished his knuckles along the length of her blushed cheek until his thumb settled over her lower lip. He traced it smoothly. She gulped, but stayed rooted. He took another step towards her until there remained no distance between them and all the curtains between them had been removed once and for all.

******

The day had finally arrived. The day of separation. The day of union.

Separation of two best friends.

Union of two souls.

“I can’t believe you are leaving me for this cringe fest.” Safa embraced Asmara in a tight hug as she reviled about Arham.