Chapter 9 - A smile worth seeing

First week of school down for Baylor

First week of school down for Baylor. I've been stressing about her all week, afraid of her getting too overwhelmed. Luckily, Ace has kept me informed of her well-being and of course, the twins watch over her.

She still is not talking to anyone at school, which if I didn't know she had autism, I would be a little concerned. But with autism comes extreme isolation, which is okay, everything goes at her pace.

She has been a little and I mean little bit more involved with her brothers. I don't know what that nightmare did to her, but it has made her a bit clingy. A new routine is that she wants me to lay down with her to fall asleep. Which I don't mind the extra cuddles, but I hate my poor girl is afraid of her own sleep.

With her first week down of school, I want to have a family day. It's Saturday, sunny and not too cold or hot here in August in the great state of New York. I want to take her out somewhere, but hopefully not overwhelm her.

Talking about getting overwhelmed, her stimming toys came in which I'm excited to give her. Also her ear plugs so she can block out the noises that stress her out, which she will probably need for today.

I go downstairs to see my family eating breakfast. You will never see a missed meal in this household, the boys could eat out a grocery store, then there's Baylor, who we have to make eat.

"Good morning, famiglia. I thought we could have a little family day. I hope nobody had plans." I give the boys a look, telling them not to complain. "I was thinking maybe we could go to the zoo. How about that, Bubs? Does that sound okay?"

She looks up from eating her sugary cereal. "Yeah that's okay. Do they still have all the animals like the ones I saw when I was little when I lived in North Carolina?"

"Yeah they have a ton of animals here. Do you remember the last time you went to the zoo?"

She scrunches her little face in thought, which is absolutely adorable, "I think I was seven. Frank and Mom took me. They used to take me to places."

Just their names make me mad. I hide my anger behind an enthusiastic mask, "Well we will take you places all the time if you want."

She looks up and gives me a small smile, just a twitch of her lips, "Thank you. I will enjoy not staying locked up."

I go a sit by Baylor where she is seated in front of the island. I gently grab her small chin, "Baylor, never again will you be locked up. As long as I can control it, you will be forever free. And no need to thank me, that's what big brother is for." I bring back the nickname she started calling me the first day she was here. She hasn't called me it since.

She looks, "I'm still grateful." She pauses. Then mumbles under her breath, "Big brother." My smile becomes wide, and I kiss her temple before telling her to get ready. When I look around the room, where my brothers are at the dining table, there is not a face in the room without some kind of smile. It's a slow process, but I will earn her trust.