Chapter 35 : The Final Curtain Call

Start from the beginning

My mind drifts to the two other people I wanted to see today -Fimi and Demilade.

Fimi had sent me all her love on our call last night, since she was quarantining after getting the new Covid Variant from her foreign waka waka boyfriend.

But Demilade, I expected him to be here yet he was nowhere in sight.

I had so much to tell him, of my recent decision to follow Christ and how I finally understood the faith he spoke so deeply about.

How could I not tell Him how words of eternal life washed over and set me free?

One it's almost too good to be true, two...well the second reason scared me more.

The kiss felt like a lifetime ago, but it had only solidified the care embedded within my soul for only one boy in particular.

"Madam, come back to earth Mrs Sotunde is calling us to arrange ourselves backstage before 1:20." Victoria says, reminding me of our impending entrance.

"What about Demilade?" I ask.

"He's probably already lined up somwhere." Victoria says, navigating us through the shortcut in the school's gardens.

The route is adjacent the main entrance and my heart trips in my chest as I see him come through the gates.

"Ahn ahn isn't that Demilade looking fresh like this?" Victoria says, a giggle already on her tongue.

True to her words he looked red carpet ready.

His usual waves had taken an edge with a smooth clippings on the sides, and his suit peeking under his graduation gown hugged every muscle on his athletic frame.

An oriental gold watch sat on the wrist of the same hand that held his graduation cap, and immediately my eyes fly to the faces of the people who could afford to gift him such a lavish accessory; that looked a lot like the Rolex many young rappers flashed during music videos.

An older man who still possessed the shadows of his no doubt handsome youth had his hand on the lower back of an elegant biracial woman, donning a red dress.

She looked a little too young to be Demilade's biological mother, but her kind eyes and warm smile when she looked at her stepson gave me a liking to her.

Time had slowed down, and I wasn't prepared for him to notice us when he turns around to take in the two girls a few metres from him.

"Nims, Victoria? Is that you?" he says, eyes lighting in approval at our glittery attire underneath.

The school had once again pulled all the stops, and students were in like manner expected to dress in gold, silver, and champagne to match the festivities.

His quick strides bring him over to us in seconds and I can see clearly the champagne undershirt most boys would have shied away from, opting for the white and cream companions to gold and silver instead.

"Ask me one more time." Victoria says jumping on him before he can properly dodge her painted face.

Some yellowish brown foundation kisses his cheeks and his face scrunches for a moment before he looks at me.

I can see mischief dance in his eyes as a kilowatt powered smile spreads across his face.

"Milady?" he says, skipping the hug I would cooly refuse, to bow instead.

His palm beckons for my hand and I reluctantly meet his, purposefully looking anywhere but his parents watching all three of us interact from afar.

"When will you outgrow these your antics?" I mutter when he rises to look me in the eyes once again.