"Alright, but I'll go with the kids. I don't feel right about sending a lady and some children anywhere alone. Especially when we're in Dixieland." He stands beside the roaring hood as Judith steps out of the car.

She bends toward her seat and yanks it toward the dash by the shoulders. When it bends forward, Stevie climbs across and out of the car with Vera close behind, carrying his coat.

Judith's wearing a black swing dress tight over her chest and stomach but flowing at the hips, identical to Vera's. Robbie shuts her door and walks behind them to the front entrance.

He, Judith, and Stevie stare at the Confederate flag hanging in the window between the neon sign and the cigarette pricing poster.

Vera jerks the handle, and Stevie lifts his arm over her to grip the side of the door. He holds it open for his sisters, and Robbie takes his place, allowing him to step behind Judy.

Vera begins to walk toward the lanky strawberry-blond clerk, but Judith sits her hand on her chest and pushes her back. She approaches him instead.

"Where's your bathroom?" She looks through the glass at the other skinny white man as he scoots his rolling chair toward the cashier.

"It's closed," he announces from his chair, his deep blue eyes full of scorn in contrast to the doe ones of the man beside him.

"Okay, well, I'd like to pay for ice cream for my sister and brother, and gas for our car," she says, and the men share a glance. Stevie follows his sister to the colorful freezer against the wall.

"Our popsicle machine is closed for the winter." Stevie pushes the door aside, and the white air whooshes past them. Vera hands him his coat, and as she leans forward, he tosses it across his left shoulder.

Judith looks at Robbie, and he turns his head to Stevie. Vera takes an ice cream sandwich in her left hand and asks, "Which one do you want?"

"Stevie, is there anything in there?" He and his sister look at their brother-in-law with narrowed eyes.

"You calling him stupid?" The clerk in the chair sniggers at Vera's question, the other lowers his eyes, and Robbie sighs.

"Yeah, there's some ice cream in here," Stevie answers, then Judith and Robbie turn to the white men. "Vera, grab me one of them Slam Bang boxes, please."

"How much for two ice creams and gas," Robbie asks, standing next to Judy. He takes his light brown leather wallet out of his slacks, and as he slips out a fifty-dollar bill, Judith's eyes widen toward the Citroen.

I left the money.

He slides the bill across the counter with his eyes trained on the talkative one who's running his fingers through his mullet.

Vera carries the ice creams to them, and Stevie slides the door shut. He lifts the dollar, then opens the register.

"Take the kids to the bathroom." Vera sets the Batman and Robin box, and ice cream sandwich wrapper on the counter, then strolls to the back with Stevie.

Judith follows them to the narrow hall, but there's only one bathroom. Vera taps the door, then Stevie bangs against it when no one answers. He opens the door and turns to Vera, shutting it behind her as she flicks the light on.

The pair stand against the wall across from the door, and Stevie bites his lower lip in thought. Robbie peeks around the bend, and they turn their heads to him.

"I'm gonna go fill up. Come out when you're done, and you'll get your stuff from Sheryl." They nod and watch him walk away, then look at the door.

"So," Stevie drones, grasping her attention for that moment. "When we get back, are you calling David?"