Chapter 30: The Battle of Beacon: Part 1

3rd Person POV

Amity Arena

"Get down!" Phoenix shouted as the Nevermore landed, the wind from its wings sending Jaune and Pyrrha flying. Charging forward and drawing Dauntless, Phoenix extended his wings and shot into the sky, much to the shock of the students around them.

Flames bursting around him, Phoenix dove down toward the Nevermore as it rose to meet him. Brandishing Dauntless, Phoenix lashed out, and his blade slashed through the Nevermore, splitting it in half. Landing on the ground, Phoenix looked up as multiple rocket launchers fell from above, slamming into its wings and pinning them to the ground.

With a hiss, the doors opened, and the students rushed in, all of them retrieving their weapons. Phoenix nodded at Ruby, before looking over at Pyrrha, who stared tearfully down at Penny's remains. "Ruby I... I'm so sorry," she apologized.

"Me, too," Ruby replied, Mercury nodding in agreement. "But it wasn't your fault."

"She's right," Jaune agreed, walking over, Pyrrha's weapons in hand. "Whoever was on the microphone... they're the ones that did this. And we have to make sure they don't take anyone else." He held out her weapons, and Pyrrha accepted them, her fingers tight on their handles.

Hearing a loud roar, everyone looked up as multiple Griffins landed on the roof of the stadium.

"Griffons," Ren murmured.

"Anybody got a plan of attack?" Neptune asked.

"Sun," Phoenix said, causing the Faunus to look at him. "I need your scroll."

Sun tossed it over, and Phoenix passed it to Ruby. Tapping in the code, she turned as her locker landed behind her, opening to reveal Crescent Rose.

Before she could retrieve her weapon, a Griffon landed on top of her locker and snarled at her, only for a gunshot to ring out as a Dust shell slammed into its chest, taking it out.

"Students," Port said, lowering his blunderbuss as Oobleck came up beside him. "I believe it would be best for you to leave."

"But we can—" Ruby protested, but Oobleck cut her off.

"Ms. Rose, this day will surely go down in Remnant's history... I'd prefer it if my students could live to tell about it."

Nodding, Ruby retrieved her weapon as Phoenix gave the two teachers a quick salute. Turning, Phoenix faced the rest of the students. "Let's go!"

Nodding, the students followed Phoenix as the mercenary led them to the outside of the arena.

Stepping out to the airstrip, Phoenix skidded to a stop just in time to see Ironwood shoot an Alpha Beowolf through the skull, killing it. Holstering his gun, Ironwood turned to face them.

"What's going on out there, general?" Phoenix asked, his wings spread wide.

"Grimm are crawling all over the city," Ironwood replied, shoving aside his astonishment at seeing Phoenix's wings. "The White Fang has invaded Beacon. And to make matters worse, some... Vagabond has seized one of my ships."

He nodded out in the distance, where an Atlas airship was flying quite sloppily through the air, raining Dust shells on the Grimm around it.

"Until we regain command, the skies are out of our control," Ironwood stated. "So, I'm—" He raised his gun and fired, shooting a Creep through the head. "Going to take it back," he finished.