Chapter 13: Extracurricular

3rd Person POV

Beacon

"Man, I really wish I brought some popcorn," Ruby complained as she, Weiss, Blake, Yang, Phoenix, Nora, Ren, Jaune, Emerald, and Mercury watched Pyrrha wipe the floor with Team CRDL.

"I did, but I forgot to bring something to cook it," Yang said, pulling out a bag.

Mercury looked over at Phoenix. "You could just do what you and I did on the streets."

Phoenix nodded. "Good idea. Pass the bag, would ya, Yang?"

Yang tossed it over, and Phoenix held his other hand under it. Fire flickered across it and started heating it up.

"So. Hot. Wish I could do that," Yang said jealously.

They heard an explosion and turned to see Pyrrha flip out of the way as Cardin slammed his mace down, sending a wave of fire at Pyrrha.

Spinning backward, Pyrrha landed on her feet and charged forward, striking Cardin twice in the side before delivering a powerful blow to his chest, knocking him into the air. From there, she kicked off her shield, wrapped her arms around Cardin's head, and flung him to the ground, ending the fight as his aura dropped into the red.

"And that's the match!" Goodwitch announced.

"Ugh... Lucky... Shot..." Cardin groaned.

"Well done, Miss Nikos," Goodwitch praised. "You should have no problem qualifying for the tournament."

"She's a champion; what'd you expect?" Phoenix commented, popping a piece of popcorn in his mouth before passing it over to Ruby, who dug in.

"Alright," Goodwitch went on, ignoring him, "now I know that's a tough act to follow, but we have time for two more sparring matches. Any volunteers?"

Tilting his head, Phoenix glanced over at Jaune and nodded.

Jaune hesitated and nodded back before standing up. "I volunteer."

"Mr. Arc?" Goodwitch said in surprise. "Are you sure you want to go next?"

Jaune nodded.

"Jaune, are you sure?" Ren asked in surprise.

"No," Jaune muttered under his breath.

"Very well..." Goodwitch said hesitantly. "Let's find you an opponent."

"Actually," Jaune said, "I want to fight..." He glanced toward Pyrrha, who nodded at him encouragingly. "Him." He pointed at Cardin, shocking both the audience and Glynda.

"I'm sorry, but I'm afraid Mr. Winchester has just finished his match," Glynda said. "I—"

"I don't need any rest," Cardin interrupted, looking at Jaune smugly. "You're on, Jauney boy."

Glynda sighed. "Very well. Mr. Arc, please come down to the arena."

"Actually, can I go to my locker first?" Jaune asked. "I left my sword there."

Goodwitch sighed. "Very well. But be quick about it."

Jaune nodded and walked off to the locker rooms while Pyrrha went over to a bench to watch.

"What is that dunce doing?" Weiss muttered.

"Yeah, I mean, I know Phoenix and Pyrrha have been helping him, but going up against Cardin again?" Yang asked. "Jaune's got guts, I'll give him that."