𝑻𝒉𝒆𝒚 𝒍𝒊𝒆𝒅 𝒍𝒊𝒌𝒆 𝒍𝒊𝒂𝒓𝒔

Chapter Eleven
Elora

Katara and I had been engaged in casual conversation for some time, our words drifting lazily through the air like the gentle breeze that rustled the nearby foliage. With nothing pressing on our minds, we decided to seek out Aang and Sokka, who had been noticeably absent for quite some time.

Descending a grassy hill, our footsteps softened by the cushion of greenery beneath us, we spotted them amidst a thicket, their attention fixated on something hidden within the underbrush.

"Did someone lose something?" Katara inquired, her brow furrowing in confusion at the sight.

"No, we found something," Aang replied, his voice tinged with excitement as Sokka plucked a scorched arrow from the ground, its once-vibrant feathers now charred by fire.

"It's burned," Sokka observed, his gaze shifting to a nearby tree adorned with ominous burn marks etched into its trunk.

With a furrowed brow, he pieced together the scene before us, his eyes scanning the ground for telltale signs of struggle.

"There was a battle. Water tribe warriors ambushed a group of firebenders," he explained, his voice tinged with solemnity as he traced the path of the skirmish through the soil. "The firebenders fought back, but the warriors drove them down this hill," he continued, gesturing towards the grassy slope that descended before us.

Eager to uncover the fate of those involved, we followed Sokka's lead, our feet carrying us swiftly down the hillside until we emerged onto a windswept beach, the sound of crashing waves drowning out any further clues.

"So then what happened?" Aang's curiosity echoed in the salt-tinged air whilst my gaze sweeps the shoreline in search of answers.

"I don't know. The trail ends here," Sokka admitted, his shoulders slumping in defeat as he surveyed the barren expanse before us, the mystery of the battle's aftermath lingering like a shadow over the sands.

"Wait, look," I interjected, my finger pointing towards the water where an abandoned Water Tribe boat lay beached on the shore.

"It's one of our boats!" Sokka exclaimed, a grin spreading across his face as we hurried towards it, our steps quickened by a surge of anticipation.

"Is this... Dad's boat?" Katara's voice trembled with hope as she approached, her eyes scanning the vessel for any sign of familiarity.

"No, but it's from his fleet," Sokka confirmed, his tone tinged with relief and excitement. "Dad was here," he stated with a mixture of awe and disbelief.

As the night enveloped us in its gentle embrace, casting shadows upon the sandy shore, we settled into our makeshift camp beside the abandoned boat. Katara and Aang had succumbed to the embrace of sleep, their rhythmic breaths a soothing lullaby against the backdrop of the crackling fire. Yet, despite the tranquil surroundings, sleep eluded me, my mind restless with unspoken thoughts.

I glanced towards Sokka, his silhouette outlined by the flickering flames, a pensive expression etched upon his features. Sensing my approach, he turned towards me, his eyes reflecting the dancing firelight as I settled beside him.

"What are you thinking about?" I ventured, breaking the silence that hung between us like a fragile veil.

"My dad," Sokka replied, his voice tinged with melancholy. "He went to fight in the war after our mom died," he explained, his words heavy with the weight of unresolved emotions.

"I'm sorry," I murmured softly, placing a comforting hand upon his shoulder, offering a silent gesture of support.

"I wanted to go with him," Sokka continued, his voice wavering slightly. "I had packed all my stuff, painted my face and everything. But he told me that I had to stay and take care of the village, take care of Katara," he recounted, a sense of longing evident in his words.