A Plan

For Ana.

***

It came as no surprise to Anastasia the following day when she heard of Robert and Adelaide's engagement. She was very happy for them, of course, as was everyone else; Lord and Lady Priston were delighted by Adelaide's large dowry, Lord Langworth relieved that someone would have his daughter - that he would take her far away from the gossips for a few years was an added bonus.

"This will be a wonderful connection to have between our families," Lady Adlington said to Lady Langworth during their call to the Whitby house.

Anastasia couldn't help but shake her head at her mother's reasoning. Always thinking of status and unions and money! She sighed and turned her attention to the window. It was a bright warm day, typical of the current season.

Adelaide had been dragged into the ladies' conversation, much to Anastasia's annoyance. Adelaide, however, did not seem to mind very much as she was still smiling as broadly as when the had first arrived.

There was a slight commotion behind Anastasia and she turned quickly from the window to see that Mrs Campbell and Rebecca were now in the parlour. A sudden wave of panic spread through her - But no, she calmed herself, there was no reason for her mother to suspect...

The necessary introductions were made by Lady Langworth, who presented Mrs Campbell quite firmly as a very dear friend, thus ensuring Lady Adlington greeted her warmly.

"Miss Campbell, have we met before?" The countess said. "You look very familiar to me."

Anastasia saved Rebecca from any discomfort in attempting to answer the question. "Miss Campbell's brother spent much of the summer with Robert, Mamma. Do you remember?"

Lady Adlington frowned as she thought back. To everyone's relief, she then broke into a pleasant smile. "Ah, yes, of course. But how is it you know..." She faltered, trying to make sense of the situation.

Anastasia blushed, realising she may have done better not to have spoken. "Oh, I - " she looked in alarm over to Adelaide and Rebecca.

"I expect Mr James Campbell spoke of his family to you, did he not, Anastasia?" Adelaide said, coming quickly to her aid.

Anastasia nearly sighed with relief. "Yes, yes, he often did," she lied easily. "He also mentioned his acquaintance with Lord and Lady Langworth."

Lady Adlington nodded. "Ah, I see. Mrs Campbell, Miss Campbell, it was a pleasure to - "

Rebecca leaned in a whispered something hastily to Adelaide, causing the latter to cry out, "Oh! Just a moment, Lady Adlington."

"Adelaide?" Lady Langworth asked curiously.

"I promised both Miss Campbell and Lady Anastasia that I would show them that book Papa was speaking of."

"Book?" the Marchioness repeated blankly. Adelaide, looking exasperated, signalled to her mother, by a meaningful look, the urgency of the situation.

"Yes, the one he told us of this morning. It is in the library; we shall only be a few moments."

Before anyone could protest, Adelaide had ushered Rebecca and Anastasia out of the parlour and into the next room, which was indeed the library. However, no book was produced.

"Forgive me, Anastasia, but I wished to see how your leg has healed," Rebecca explained. "If you would," she said, indicating to the nearest sofa.

"Oh, of course," Anastasia replied, moving obediently to the couch and reclining on it, allowing her doctor to examine her calf muscle. "It has much improved."