A New Way Of Thinking

• Dedicated to Calirain

"Anna, where are you running off to?" Lady Adlington halted her daughter in her tracks.

"I am going to tea with Adelaide," Anastasia replied, leaving no room for doubt in her tone. She now stood by the front door, hurriedly pulling on her gloves.

"Alone?" The Countess sounded hesitant.

"Yes."

"I - I see." She seemed unsure of whether this was acceptable. "And who will be in attendance?"

Anastasia smiled, her answer rolling off her tongue. "Lord Terbridge and Mr. Whitby, I believe. And a few friends of Addie to which she wishes to introduce me."

"Oh - I, er...Very well." Lady Adlington sighed in defeat as Anastasia disappeared out the door. "All for the best, I suppose."

***

"Well, isn't this splendid!" Adelaide grinned, sitting on the edge of her chair, evidently excited. When Anastasia had told Adelaide of her wish to become further acquainted with her suffragette friends, the elder girl had been positively thrilled. She had invited Anastasia to come to tea so she could introduce her to some of the other members of the WSPU - Stella and Rebecca, the ladies she had mentioned-

"Is that... Stella Campbell?" Anastasia had cut - in discreetly.

"Why, yes. It is. And her sister is Rebecca. Are you acquainted with her?"

"No, though I think I might know a relation of hers." Anastasia had given the subject much thought the previous day, and had come to the conclusion that Stella, and now, of course, Rebecca, must be somehow related to James. Though 'Campbell' was quite common, how many families of that name could be involved in some political movement that could result in their being frowned upon? "James Campbell, he's a friend of my cousin, Robert."

Adelaide's eyes lit up. "Stella's younger brother is called James, and I think she may have mentioned that he spent the summer in Kent - although I haven't seen him for almost two years, he's been away at school and such. He would be nineteen or twenty now. When is his birthday? Oh, I have forgotten! How awful!"

"Yes, but - That's him!" Anastasia exclaimed, then quietened, worried she seemed a little over-enthusiastic. He was, after all, only a cousin's old school mate.

Adelaide frowned then, but not because of her exclamation. "I knew him well when he was younger; our families are quite closely aquainted. But Stella and Rebecca don't speak of him very much any more. I think there was some form of disagreement between them."

But Anastasia didn't have time to dwell on such facts. She spent the two days before the arranged afternoon tea thinking of little other than that she was going to meet James' sisters. Perhaps one of them was the one who he turned the pages for when she played the piano?

"Anna-" She was jerked back to the present by Adelaide, who was still looking as excited as ever. The Campbells were to arrive at any minute.

"Yes?"

"Before you meet the Campbells, I feel I should inform you of them a little more. Both are extremely passionate about the Cause, particularly Stella. She has a degree in law and is one of our best speakers."

"A degree in law?"

"Oh, yes, but of course she isn't allowed to practise. And Rebecca is studying at the London School of Medicine For Women. It was founded by - Oh!"

The door had opened and the Miss Campbells were announced, drowning out Anastasia's incredulous "School of Medicine for Women?"

Both ladies had the same tall, slim figures and were fashionably dressed, but that was where the resemblance ended. Stella Campbell, the elder sister, looked nothing like her brother. She had pure blonde hair and sharp blue eyes. She had an air of cold superiority and intelligence about her, as Adelaide seemed to have had the first time Anastasia had met her. Rebecca, in contrast, was sweet and open. She looked very much like James, with the same dark hair and eyes.

"Anastasia appears to be acquainted with James," Adelaide said as they all took their places at the table. Afternoon tea had been provided, for which Anastasia was grateful - her appetite never ceased, even when she wasn't scampering about the country.

"You are?" Rebecca said in astonishment. Anastasia could not help but feel a small twinge of disappointment that he had not mentioned her to his family. But why should she be disappointed? She tried to shake the feeling off. These women were all about being independent and never to be at the mercy of a man, as she should be...and yet the disappointment would not leave her.

"Yes, I believe so," she replied timidly. "He came to stay with my cousin last summer, in Kent."

"Oh yes," Stella said, but not in the same excited tone as Rebecca. "James - always running off to the country to his fine friends, escaping London."

"I cannot fault him for that," Anastasia said, smiling slightly.

"Can't you?" Stella said coldly. Anastasia was taken aback and was grateful when Adelaide changed to the topic of their plans for the WSPU, though they called it the 'musical club', in case any servants were eavesdropping.

Stella did most of the planning, with some aid from Rebecca. Adelaide offered, on several occasions, funding, transport and staff. It was clear to Anastasia that, as the daughter of a marquess, Adelaide was expected to use whatever power she had help 'the Cause'. Anastasia herself mostly listened in and scarcely spoke. What could she have to say that would be of significance? She had been hoping to ask a little more about James, but clearly he was not the subject they wished to discuss.

The party broke up some time after; the Campbells leaving to prepare some banners for some 'great event' which they had been organising, Anastasia having to return before her parents noticed her long absence.

As they stood in the entrance hall, saying their goodbyes, Rebecca leaned into Anastasia and whispered to her, "I apologise for my elder sister's less than warm behaviour earlier. She does not like talking about James. It's difficult for her, when Adelaide's brothers are so supportive - " she stopped herself, looking as if she had said to much. "I hope we shall see you again, Lady Anastasia."

Anastasia, who had been frowning over Rebecca's words, quickly recovered and promised they would. "I am in need of company - and of a cause."

Rebecca's expression turned serious. "Adelaide can be very persuasive. I hope you think carefully of your decision to join us. It's all very well to say it's all for the Cause, but consider your family. They will be shamed and shunned from society."

Anastasia nodded. "I know. But what of Adelaide? Her family is still one of the most respected in England."

"Not for much longer if she continues like this." Rebecca looked over to where Adelaide was laughing loudly with Stella and her brothers. "Her father might disinherit her, but she has her brothers to support her."

"My father will never disinherit me," Anastasia sighed. "He cannot afford to."

"I see. In that case you should come to our next meeting. My mother is always delighted when we bring along new members. Adelaide will pass on the invitation."

"Thank you. Goodbye, Miss Rebecca, Miss Campbell."

"Goodbye, Lady Anastasia." Rebecca flashed a smile, then quickly followed her sister out the door.

Adelaide then approached Anastasia, a weary smile upon her face. "Well?" she asked, looking hopeful. "Will you join?"

Anastasia took a deep breath and took her friend's hands. "Adelaide, you know this decision is far greater for me than it is for you. By supporting the Cause, I really am giving up any hopes of marrying well and saving my family. You must understand that."

Adelaide lowered her eyes. "Yes. I suppose you are right. I cannot force you into a decision that you are not willing to make."

"Thank you. But," Anastasia allowed herself a small smile. "You have convinced me that what you fight for is right. I will join you, Ada. But for the time being, at least, I would prefer to keep my involvement a secret, as you do."

"Of course, Anna. Oh," Adelaide exclaimed. "What fun we shall have!"