Chapter Forty-One

Beginne am Anfang

Eventually, I come upon an empty space. I quickly veer into it, barely throwing the car in park and grabbing my purse before dashing out and towards the entrance. I can't even stop to gawk at how beautiful the building is.

There are crowds inside the lobby area, but not too bad. Most people have probably found their seats by now. I push my way up to one of the ticket gates, where a bored looking employee stands and waits while I furiously dig through my purse for my ticket.

But it's not there.

My eyes widen as I continue to search every inch of my purse, but I realize with horror that in my haste I forgot to even grab it off of the vanity where I set it down yesterday.

Oh my god, how could I forget the one thing I need to get in here?

The employee stares at me impatiently, and I can't help the panic that seeps into my tone as I explain frantically, "Oh my god, I forgot my ticket! I swear, I have one, but, I— I must've left it at home. Oh my god."

He doesn't look convinced. He just raises a lazy eyebrow at me and replies, "Sucks. Guess you're not getting in."

My panic rises, "No, no, you don't understand, I have to get in. My boyfriend, he's fighting, and I can't miss that. Please, just let me go through. I have a ticket. I know my seat number, it's—"

"Listen lady, no ticket, no entry. That's the way it works. Looks like you'll have to make it up to your boyfriend for missing it."

I can hear the loud music and cheering from inside the arena. Is it Ghost they're cheering for? Is it his fight, and I'm missing it standing out here arguing with this guy?

I frantically assess my options, but I know I need to figure out something quick. I glance at the guy, and then behind him, and realize what I'm about to do it stupid and drastic, but also necessary.

He seems to catch on to my plan a split second before I do it. His eyes widen as I push him to the side and sprint past him through the gates. I run for my life as I hear him and a few other employees shout after me. I don't dare to look back to see if they're following me, I'm sure they are.

I race through one of the entrances into the arena, and nearly falter at the overwhelming size and spectacle of it all. This place is huge, it can fit thousands. I can only imagine how nervous Ghost must be.

And then I see his face.

Not in person, he's too far away. But he's on every big screen, broadcasted larger than life to the crowded stands on every side.

His fight has started, apparently.

I have no idea how far into it he is, but from what I can see, it doesn't look good. His nose is bleeding and he stumbles a few steps as his opponent dances him around the ring.

Is he losing?

The guy throws a punch that knocks Ghost on the side of his head. Ghost doesn't even block it, and I realize he is losing. How is that possible?

I can still hear the guys chasing after me as I race down the hundreds of steps towards the center of the arena. I don't know where Mila and Tay are in these swarming crowds, so my best bet is to find Dane by the side of the ring and hope he can get me out of this mess.

My eyes bounce back and forth between the steps and the screen, wincing with every hit that Ghost takes. He's not throwing enough punches, he's only trying to block, and not even doing a good job of that. There's no way he'll win the round points-wise. I can only hope he doesn't get knocked out before I even reach him.