«chapter six: shadows»

Magsimula sa umpisa

  "See them?" I point to Tara, Brion and Halo and she nods, "They are friends. Good guys. You can go meet them." I say, causing her to stare at me for a moment longer before she disappears from my side.

  I watch as she emerges next to Halo, studying each of them for a second before she smiles at them.

  Halo cooes at this, and Brion smiles widely, "Hello, little one."

  Lily seems to like the nickname as she waves back at him before looking to Tara, who looked at her a lot like how Conner, Jefferson and Jake had.

  "Does she talk?" Nightwing asks, and for a moment I am so surprised he talked to me that I don't answer. When I recover I say, "Sparingly. She knows how to, I think she just doesn't want to sometimes."

  He nods and we fall into a silence before Conner asks, "How do her powers work? She seems to have a good handle on them."

  "She does," I agree before I add, "And as far as we know, she can hide in shadows and can transport anywhere, so long as she sees it first. In rare occasions, she has been able to simply transport to another person." I explain, and he nods.

"Sort of like Ed."

  "Yup," I confirm, remembering a little about the boy with metapowers, "I think she can control it more because she is younger. More adaptable."

  "How old is she?" Artemis asks from where she has been leaning against the wall.

  "Forager was wondering the same thing," He says, "Forager is impressed with the tiny human. Forager likes her."

  Lily hears this and goes to him, causing him to click his tongue in surprise before she slowly reaches out and touches his shell.

  "Forager wants to give her a hive four," He says matter-of-factly, holding up one of his four hands for her.

  "It's a high five," Nightwing corrects him, and it seems like they have had this conversation before.

  Her eyes light up despite the comment and she hits his hand lightly.

  Forager claps in delight, causing her to have a toothy grin and clap too.

  "We are landing," Conner says suddenly as she stands from his spot. "This is mine and M'gann's house." He tells me before smiling, "We are engaged."

  I smile at that,"That's amazing! I'm really happy for you two." I say truthfully.

  "M'gann is going to be so excited you are back," Artemis shakes her head, "Just be prepared to be tackled."

  "She isn't going to tackle me," I say standing up, and following them out of the bio-ship.

  Something rams into me, and next thing I know I'm on the floor, a certain white puff ball looming over me as he inhales my scent before nudging me with his head, his tail wagging behind him.

  "Well that explains the rut that Wolf has been in for the last year." Conner says, slightly amused, "I just thought he was getting too old."

  Wolf let's put a huff at that, but gets off of me and I move to stand up, petting Wolf as I do so.

  Before I can get myself completely straight, someone else knocks into me,
pulling me into a bone-crushing hug.

  "Oh my gosh, you are actually here!" M'gann exclaims, "I knew you were okay, I just- when I felt your mind touch here I almost cut my finger off-I was cutting an apple-and-"

  "Can't breathe," I manage to get out, her practically crushing my rib cage.

  She lets me go, but keeps her arms on my shoulders as she looks me up and down, "You look great!" She exclaims before looking at my clothes, "And you have a new suit?"