As much as Smiley appreciated precision, he went for a stroll around the store to avoid losing his mind.

He was surprised that the store was so busy, even though it was a Saturday afternoon. He noticed that half of the general patronage consisted of teenage girls who were wanting to make their own miniskirts after their parents had denied them such scandalous attire. The other half consisted of old women who would toss disapproving glares at the latter patrons.

Given this being the case, it didn't take a very scrutinizing eye for Smiley to spot another boy entering the store.

The boy in question was around Kathy's age and looked quite confused. He was holding a piece of paper which Smiley assumed had a list written on it.

The boy wore a white jumper with a large embroidered G on it. Smiley assumed it was a school logo, but it still seemed very American to him.

And, for Smiley Gibbs, Americans were something to watch out for.

The boy took a turn about the store and came back around empty handed. Naturally, he found the most fabric-cladded figure in the vicinity to ask for help, which happened to be Kathy in her floral pink drapery and red bandana.

Smiley's brain itched with a faint alarm going off in the back of his mind.

He didn't know why. It wasn't like he cared which boys Kathy talked to, but this one raised a suspicion that Smiley couldn't shake.

He made his way over to the pair, who were chatting rather merrily for such a dreary, wet day.

"Hullo," he greeted.

The other boy did a double take, not noticing him standing there at first.

"Oh, hi," he replied, revealing a toothy grin.

American, Smiley affirmed. "The name's Gibbs."

"I'm Jim Randall," the boy said, then gestured to Kathy. "I was just asking Miss Kathy if she knew where large sheets of fabrics are. I'm in the business of making flags today."

"What are you in the business of tomorrow?" Smiley asked shrewdly.

Kathy and Jim only laughed.

"How is it I've never seen you around here before?" Kathy asked and Smiley was glad. If he'd asked such a question, he'd be in trouble for making accusations. When Kathy asked it, it sounded like she was happy for Jim to be around, regardless of the reason.

"I'm staying with my cousin for the summer," Jim said, sticking his hands and the list into his large jean pockets.

"How exciting!" Kathy said, clapping her hands together. Smiley disagreed, but kept quiet.

"Where you from?" Smiley asked.

"Connecticut." Another wide smile formed on Jim's lips. "Sure is a lot warmer over here. There's still snow in the foothills where I live. Doesn't usually melt until early June."

An awkward silence followed until Jim asked, "So...where do you two live?"

Kathy took in a breath to explain, but Smiley looped his arm through hers and fairly drug her away.

Before they were out of earshot, Kathy yelled over her shoulder, "Aisle five, second shelf! You'll find the perfect fabric for your flag!"

As soon as they were outside, Kathy yanked her arm away from Smiley. "What was that about?!"

"I don't trust that bloke."

Kathy scoffed. "You're being a real prat today, Smiley Gibbs."

"I was being perfectly civil! That is, until he asked where we lived."