Three - "Kristov"

Start bij het begin

The moment I was alone, I laid down on bed, contemplating on what I got into. Weighing the good and the evil. Disguising is a lie, but I had to help aunt Jodie.

I called aunt Jodie and informed her that Calliope accepted me as a reliever. She was so happy and tearful when we talked. I did not tell her about my disguise, it would only worry her.

I called dad and mom afterwards, they were still curious about the result of my interview.

"Did you get the job?" Dad asked me right away.

"Yeah, I got the job."

I heard mom shout, "I knew it! You're so smart Pia, there's no way you won't get hired."

"But, it's different, way better than the teaching job."

I heard their sudden silence, then mom asked, "what do you mean?"

"There's no hiring of History Professors in NYU until next semester, but they put me in their priority list." I kept my fingers crossed.

"In other words, you didn't get the job, right?" Dad spoke slowly.

"Yeah, but..."

"But what?" Mom asked gently.

"I have a job now. I just started today, as a history researcher."

"I'm confused. Will you explain what really happened Pia?" Dad asked firmly.

"Well, Miss Murphy introduced me to this... um... writer. Yeah, a writer, a very famous and respectable one. I'm sure you know him, dad. Um, he's doing some research right now, and I'm very lucky to help him."

"Who is this writer?"

"Sorry Dad, I can't tell you his name. This research is very confidential. It involves the... um, government. The United Nations. Um, and the World Health Organization," my face burned from all the lies I have said. I felt so guilty already.

"So it concerns health."

"Exactly. By the way, it's a stay-in job with a very good salary. The benefits are crazy. Imagine, we have a serva... I mean they serve a buffet every meal."

"You mean, there are many of you working there?" Mom asked, in her worried voice.

"Plenty. More than twenty people. So don't worry about me, I'm in safe hands."

"And where is this place you're working at? At least, tell us where you are right now."

"I'm here in New York, just a few minutes drive from our place. You can call or text me anytime, if you're worried."

"Okay, fine. We trust you," Mom sounded satisfied with my explanation.

"Take care always, our princess," Dad shouted in the background.

"I will. I love you both so much. Enjoy your vacation. Bye!"

I felt guilty that I lied to my parents. I wished I never had to. But for aunt Jodie's sake, I had to do it. I just hoped they would understand me.

I opened my luggage, and saw the two picture frames that I brought. I put them on top of the bedside table, beside the clock.

My eyes widened in alarm. Oh no, I only have five minutes left.

I fixed myself, then ran downstairs to meet Calliope and the staff.

Kristov's POV

"What's that commotion earlier?" I asked my bodyguard, Jack, when we were inside the private elevator of the Monteiro Hotel, heading to the rooftop. I just finished my lunch meeting with the French Ambassador.