56-60

YGTWHV [56]

| |

However, after Leo shrunk himself, we no longer stood out a lot, so no one noticed us. Surprisingly enough, they seemed to have really forgotten what had happened earlier just like Lakis commanded.

"L-Lord Crawford. I felt something strange just now, is it just me?"

"No, me too."

Kalian looked around, seeming a little confused as well. However the sharp murderous intent that had been in his eyes till now had disappeared without a trace. He seemed to feel an unknown sense of discomfort but soon got himself together and ordered his men to arrest all the slave traders.

All who were kidnapped, including the children, seemed to be in a safe place already.

I left the place with a limp Siren who had fainted, and Leo who was floundering from being tied up in the air.

Part 10: One difference between melodrama and angsty romance.

After the events at the slave trading ring was over, things surprisingly returned to their ordinary daily routine. Maybe it was the effect of Lakis' power but there were no longer any suspicious underworld guys lingering around Leo's hideout or Yuri's house.

Just thinking about what happened at the slave ring that day made Yuri speechless.

First of all, whatever good feelings Yuri had towards the male lead, Kalian Crawford, had hit rock bottom. To think he was a bastard who would attack someone blindly because they was a test subject. Until now, she had a somewhat favorable impression of him but after he grew hostile for no particular reason, she was considerably pissed.

It seems those with the power of the ruins were called heretics in the east. Kalian's beloved Anne-Mare wasn't even an experiment, but she had the power of the ruins so technically speaking, was she not a heretic?

It wasn't included in the novel, but it made you wonder if Kalian was aware of this fact or not. If he knew, then maybe that was really true love.

But as a matter of fact, Lakis was the one who caught Yuri's attention more, not Kalian. The power Lakis used back then, wasn't it a complete cheat? It was the ability to brainwash and control a large number of people. Even Siren and Leo didn't seem to remember seeing Lakis there.

Of course, Yuri didn't know the strength or range of his power, but this alone was enough to rank it as an amazing ability. Could it also be a power from the ruins?

'But why's my memory still here?'

Yuri wanted to ask Lakis why he appeared there and with Leo on top of that, but naturally, she couldn't. Lakis seemed to believe her memory had disappeared as well, and she felt it was in her best interest to just act like she didn't know.

So sometimes, when Lakis stared at her with a sharp gaze like he was searching for something, she would just feign ignorance.

'I can't sleep.'

Many thoughts were going through her mind so she couldn't close her eyes at all. Her senses naturally focused on what was beyond the door.

Lakis was as quiet as usual. It was late into the night so he might be sleep but for some reason, she didn't think he was. Siren, who she saved from the slave trading ring was living in Leo's hideout for now. Of course, Siren was very unhappy with this, but she seemed to have realized something from this incident and didn't complain at all. Instead, she just sulked and quietly attended to her feathers. Yuri used her ability as Arachne to create traps around the hideout so if someone intruded like before, she would get a signal right away. Siren seemed relieved to know this fact.