1. Yinah

My head feels like it has been crushed by bulldozer or worse

Fluttering my eyes open, I try to acclimatise to the sounds and the sensations that overwhelm me. I haven't even opened my eyes fully, when I hear a familiar voice rush out frantic words to someone. 

"Yinah!" 

"Doctor!" 

"God, she's waking up! She's finally waking up." 

My throat is parched and I distinctively hear a beeping monitor before willing myself to fully open my eyes. The bright light nearly blinds me and I immediately shut my eyes, my head throbs and my throat is parched. What the hell is going on here? 

Mierda

This is definitely one way to start 2020. What the hell even happened, one minute I was at the New Year's eve party and now this. I don't even remember how I got here. 

"Ms. Moreno, how are you feeling? Any pain?" 

I glance towards the burly man in the white coat who is promptly checking my heart rate with his stethoscope. I see there is no need for permission here. 

"W-water," I croak out, not bothering to answer any of his questions. Mainly because it seems like my throat has been sucked out of all its saliva. 

A nurse dressed in an all blue uniform, quickly gets my a thermo-plastic cup and I gulp down the liquid without even glancing at it. Feeling slightly better, I glance at the doctor and then straight towards the door where my mom and sister are huddled together, sobbing silently. 

This must be bad if they flew down from Florida. 

"What happened?" I whispered, even though I meant for it to come out as a demand. 

"You went hiking and slipped and hit your head with a big rock. I'm guessing your head feels like it's about to explode?" 

I nodded and my hand immediately flew back to my head, where all I can feel was a soft bandage, and a plain and bumpy tape. Wait, there was no hair at the back of my head. The doctor must have read my panicked expression and he sat down on the stool next to me. 

"We had to shave a portion of your head to give you stitches, there was a lot of blood-" 

"You shaved my head!?" I screeched, or at least tried to with the squeaky voice which I now had. 

"It was bad, Ms. Moreno. It had to be done, you currently have 18 stitches and I would suggest not agitating the wound unnecessarily. It's a miracle those hikers saw you and brought you on time." He explained, looking at me like I was five. 

I sure as hell was acting like it, but my head was still stuck on the part where I was hairless and my mind went into a deep thought about how my plans of making an expression in my freshman year was going to go down the drain. Oh my god. This sucks so hard,