2 - A girl from the past

Start from the beginning

"What about the diary?" Liam asked. It completely slipped my mind after I came here. If it wasn't for him asking, I might have forgotten to mention it.

"It's not there."

"What the hell does that mean?" I sighed.

"It wasn't where it was supposed to be. We already checked the cameras around her bedroom but since the funeral, it wasn't supposed to leave the bedroom. I have no clue where it is and frankly, it isn't on our radar at the moment."

"So Luciana went to get it and died and you just don't care anymore?" My eyes widened at the question Liam had just thrown at me.

"What is your problem? There are far more important matters to solve than the goddamn feuds." I could tell he was fighting the urge to roll his eyes. Prick. "Last time I checked, your situation is also far from perfect. So why don't we focus on things that would help us get back onto our feet and then we can move over to what had to be done before the night," I ranted out and looked away from Liam to relieve the tension building up in my head.

"Fine. Go back to Rome and call once in a while. I'll do the same." I glanced at him as I shifted in my seat. "We can't lose our alliance." I scoffed.

"Alliance? After what Francesco did, the Martinelli remain our enemies. With an exception of you, of course." He frowned and looked down at Alex who looked up at him. The strange looks they shared throughout the meeting were enough to raise my suspicion. Not that they had done something bad or anything of that sort but perhaps they weren't so aware of what was happening like I thought they were. "Don't tell me this is new information."

"What new information?" I stood up from my seat and went around it. Aldo's eyes followed my moves.

"Everything leads to Francesco."

"What?" Alex asked under his breath.

I didn't talk to him about anything business-related. He didn't mention anything from his side of business. We promised so to each other. This relationship was for us to take a break from the problems not put us back in them.

"He killed Luciana. He was the one who wanted to take us down and made you on board. I wouldn't be surprised if he was the one who took the diary or even her. He's the most untrustworthy person here."

"Kill him," Aldo said, making me shoot him a frustrated look. He met my eyes and frowned. "What? I'll do it. If he's responsible for..." I held my hand out to stop him. I appreciated his strength and determination to fight for the truth at any cost but killing Liam's father wasn't a move that should even be in consideration. At least not at this very moment.

"Aldo-"

"No. My sister fucking died and he might be responsible," He spat through his teeth before walking forward. "I'll kill him with my bare hands for that. She was only twenty years old for fuck's sake!" Aldo burst into tears as he brought his hands up to his face and turned away from us and leaned against the table. My heart ached. I went over to him, wrapping my arms around him. He cried into my chest as I caressed his head.

I glanced at the other two men in the room. Alex looked confused and at a loss for words which I couldn't blame him for. While Liam looked past us towards the window lost in some thought.

"I think we'll go," I announced right before Aldo pulled his head off my chest. I stepped back and let him collect himself. "We'll keep in touch," I said and walked over to Liam. I placed a hand on his shoulder and smiled at him. "Behave, Liam. She would hate to see you like that." He clenched his jaw before swallowing hard.

————