Rejoining Society: Dylan

Start from the beginning

"Who the hell are you?" Lita laughed as I sat back down next to her. "Cheering? Calling him 'Baby'? What the fuck is happening right now?"

I just shrugged, trying to remain as nonchalant as possible, but it was of no use. Lita had been my best friend for almost twenty years. She knew me better than anyone, even if I tried to deny it. "I really like him, Lita. Like... I REALLY like him. Like... a LOT."

"I can tell," Lita retorted, her eyes wide. "I've never seen you like this. You were definitely never like this with Brock."

"Brock who?" I scoffed. I let out a dreamy sigh and sank back into my seat. "I don't know, Li. It's crazy. I don't think I've ever felt like this."

Lita's slightly judgmental face morphed into this dreamy, sweet look that almost made me cringe. "You're in love with him."

I could feel a blush rise to the tippy tops of my ears. "I think it's a bit soon for that."

"I don't," Lita argued. "Look at you! You woke up before noon, on a Saturday, to come see your 'not boyfriend' play rec league hockey with his friends and you're actually excited about it. And making it pretty evident that you're together..."

"Okay, I get it..."

"And he's basically been at your house for THREE WEEKS. You barely let me stay the night!"

"You stayed at my house all the time!" I argued. "You're the one that moved in with Ry and constantly had to go home to get dick."

"Stop changing the subject!" Lita commanded. "You're in love with Asher Wilde."

I groaned and buried my face in my mitten covered hands. "Don't say it out loud. If you don't say it out loud, I don't have to admit it."

"That's the dumbest thing I've ever heard."

"It's too soon!" I cried, letting my hands hit my denim-clad thighs with a hard slap. "I've only known him like two months! You can't fall in love in two months!"

"Of course, you can," Lita scoffed dismissively. "There's no set time requirement, Dylan. When you know, you know."

"I don't know what you're talking about."

"How many dates did I go on with Ryder before I told you he was the one?" Lita asked. I just shook my head. "How many?"

"I don't know. Like... four or five."

"Yeah, and we went on those four or five dates in like two weeks. Don't bury your feelings because you think the timeframe invalidates them, Dylan."

"I'm not."

"You are," Lita insisted. "I can tell by the way you're staring at him, Dylan. You're in love."

I sighed and shook my head, my gaze still planted firmly on Asher, who was skating faster than the damn speed of light to get the puck from the opposing team.

"I don't know," I spoke softly. "I'm not ready to admit that yet. Asher has... pushed me past my comfort zone in a lot of ways, but I think I'm going to hold onto that one for a bit longer."

"Why?"

"Because! We're still in the honeymoon phase. Everything is all... fun and sex and non-stressful," I explained. "You said it yourself. We basically got together and hid away from the rest of the world for the last three weeks. It's like... we're on a vacation. Things aren't so easy out in the real world. I need to find out how that goes before I'm willing to go whole hog."

"But he's definitely given you HIS whole hog, right?"

I laughed. "Multiple times."

Lita groaned with jealousy as she sank into her chair, mimicking my pose. "Tell me he's as good as I have in my head. Like... he's just so long and graceful and kind of intense... he's got to be incredible."