It's Not A Mistake

"Where are you going dressed like that?" Jeremy asks, sitting on a chair that was tucked under the dining table.

I look down at my leather pencil skirt that reaches mid thigh, and the white blouse that contrasts the black of the skirt.

"I'm going to work Jeremy, and I might be late if I don't leave now." I tell him. I pick up the keys of the car.

"Leave my car alone." He says.

"Jeremy I dont have time for this right now, I have to get to work. I'm going to be late and loose the only income this house gets." I beg him.

He sits there and looks at me. At only age 24, he already looks like he's in his mid-thirties .

"Gemima, I hate repeating myself.  Since you chose to sleep in that guest room again.  You no longer are mine. So you keep your hands off my things. " he says.

I glance at the watch on my wrist.

"Jeremy please–" I try but he stops me. His voice sends chills down my back. I've heard him use it once or twice with Tyler.

"I said! Leave my fucking car alone! No go!" He says.

Everytime he speaks I jump. Then I shuffle out of the house. Scared that he'd wake my son.

I walk to the company. It's only a five minute drive, so I assume that it'd be a ten minute walk.

I walk as fast as I can. Wondering what the hell just happened? First he beats me, then he tells me never to come back to the bedroom then he deprives me of using the car. What the hell?

I walk into the company, I greet everyone and then I take a seat behind my desk. Only two minutes later. Arraine walks in.

"Morning Genn." She greets.

Arraine is in her mid thirties, but she looks so young. She looks like one of her own models. The way she carries herself and the power her voice demands. Oh! She is just my role model.

"Good Morning Arraine. Would you like me to get you anything." I ask. I cant always have breakfast prepared for her because sometimes she doesnt eat.

"Yes actually. I'm starving today." She says with a chuckle.

I stand and I walk right out of the building, glad to see that the coffee shop right opposite is open.

I walk in and a little bell chimes in response.  A few people's heads bob up and turn back to eat.

"Hey Gem, are good?" Tyler asks. He owns coffee shops around the state. And he actually works in one of them.

"Hey Ty." I greet. He smiles warmly at me.

"I didnt see you driving down the road today." He says, he lives just down the road from Jeremy and I's house.

"Yea, thought I could just take a walk." I lie. He smiles.

I put in my order and he happily makes it for me.

"How's my nephew?" He asks. The smile that spreads on his face is just unmistakable.  He loves Ethan.

"Ethan ? Oh, hes just a bundle of joy. I left him sleeping this morning." I tell me.

He promises to try and see him today. I walk back to the company.

"Thank you." Arraine says when I drop the coffee and muffin on her desk.

"Please be sure to look through those latest articles. I trust you more than those workers." She tells me.

"Alright. I'm only one call away." I tell her jokingly. She chuckles.

I sit and look through the articles.

Billionaire Nathan Meyer is now back with full force.

Meyer Legacy is doing extra well now with its boss back in control. We love to see it.

The article reads. I send it to the editors. Approving it.

Fast like the snap of fingers, I'm headed back home. It's late, the sky has begun darkening. And I have to walk.

My house comes to view and I thank anyone listening.

I walk into the house, happy to be away from the chilling air.

Its almost winter, so the air is quiet cold.

"Where are you coming from?" Jeremy scares me.

"I'm coming from work Jeremy.  Where every adult should go." I say, sarcasm dripping from each word.

"What are you trying to say?" He asks. I look at him. He's drunk. He has no money to feed our son but he can get shit drunk.

"Nothing Jeremy. I'm going to bed." I say trying to walk upstairs.

"Come here." He says parting his arms just enough for me to fit. I melt into his embrace. He reeks badly of alcohol and sweat.

"Alright that's enough. I need to check on Ethan." I tell him.

"No, give me a kiss." He says. Fanning my face with his alcohol tainted breath. I turn my face to protect my nose from the obnoxious odour.

"Are you cheating on me?" He asks. My head whips towards him so fast that I get dizzy.

If I wasnt still in his embrace I'd have fell.

"What? No." I tell him.

"You are. That's why you're always nagging me to get a job! That's why you always come home and head back to sleep! You're tired of whoring around!" He yells in my face.

"Jeremy please, you might scare Ethan." I plead.

"No! That boy must know that his mother is nothing but a cheap whore! " he says, aiming his head toward upstairs where our son is sleeping.

"No you'll scare our son." I plead, lower than a whisper.

"Our son? How can you be so sure you whore!" He says. Tears are so close to falling from my eyes.

I break out of his grip.

"That's all you know how to do. Get angry and accuse me of things I wouldnt even imagine doing if the world was ending.

You could use this energy to look for a job instead of acting like an asshole.

And Ethan is ours. You are the only man I've ever been with. Now dont you ever scream at me or call me a whore again you ungrateful asshole!" I yell. For a moment I think hes hurt .

But then he does the unexpected,  he connects his fist with my stomach.

I grunt, my face, my legs and everywhere.

My body lands in a thud onto the ground. And he kicks, he kicks and kicks until my cries lead our son down stairs to witness it.

"Jeremy please... uh! Ethan... he's ... uhh! Watching! Stop! Please!" I beg.

His eyes darken . He spits on my face and leaves the house. Not before saying

"Whore."

What the hell?