Coping

Two weeks, I havent been to work in two weeks.

My body has been relaxing on this bed day in and day out. I wake up to make breakfast and then back to bed. Then later on in the day, I wake up to get my lunch slash dinner which is fast food.

There's a knock that sounds on the front door. I get up slowly and track to the door.

When I open, blue eyes stare up at me.

"Sup champ?" Charlotte asks.

I dont say anything I walk back into house and sink into the couch. Leaving her by the open door.

She walks in and sits by the bar.  She looks at me, my eyes train on her face. The resemblance on her face hurts me. It breaks me.

"Uhh... I went to the company, they said you haven't been to work in two weeks." She says. Obviously uncomfortable under my gaze.

"What do you want?" I ask. My voice is cold, I see her shivering .

"Mom and I thought we should check on you champ. We havent heard from you in a while and we–" she starts

"You what? Come on Char, leave me the same way your sister did." I say. Staring at her blankly.

"I cant do that Nathan. I cant leave you when you us the most. Mom and I, we're the only family you have left. And we wont abandon you. Never.

Look Nate, I know it's hard for you to trust us because of her. But I need you to trust me. I'm nothing like her. Okay? Look at me!" She asks.

"What? What Charlotte? Leave me alone! It's not that hard! If your sister could do it, so can you!" I yell at her. Now closer to her face.

"What's going on?" Its not Mrs Hart's voice that fills the room. Charlotte's eyes are brimming with tears.

"Please Nathan. Dont push us away. You're the only person we have." She says, twisting the words she has said earlier.

The look on Mrs Hart's face is priceless. There's hurt, shock and confusion.  So much pain flashes through her face.

Tears fall from my eyes as I watch this unfold.  Mrs Hart has always been like a mother figure to me. I cant afford to disappoint her.

But right now? Right now I dont want anyone that reminds me of Liz around me. I'm not pulling out of supporting them. Never.

It is true that they're the only family I gave. But I cant have it, not now. They're only reminders. Of what I lost. I dont need them to be fuel to the already blazing fire that is Nathan Meyer.

"If you two aren't going to leave my house, then I will." I say, pushing past the two of them.

Leaving them stunned. Bot their faces covered in shock. But who could blame them. I have no idea who this person is. No idea at all.

I walk into my car from the private elevator and then drive out of the underground parking.

The nearest bar is where I'm headed. It's a Friday so as expected clubs are already full. Its six. Most people are already out of work.

I walk in, and immediately the high raising anger depreciates. I sit on one of the barstools. A short lady walks towards me.

"What can I get you sexy, sexy sir." She says looking at me directly in my eyes. It's something I hadn't expected at all.

She runs her tongue over her lips. Shes a little over 4'5 , her locks are golden but her eyes are hazel. Shes pretty, not even over twenty five.

"Your strongest whiskey. A bottle." I tell her. She looks at me, and I swear I heard her growl.

"That is pretty expensive,  are you sure you can afford it? I mean, we dont want you owing here now do we?" She says, wiping a glass.

"Look..." I say looking at her name tag " Brittney,  I'm here for alcohol. Your job is to serve it to me. It's not that complicated. " I bite out.

She raised her hands to show that shes surrendering. I run my hand over my hair, I cant imagine how messed up my hair must be looking. The stubble under my chin feels itchy.

Brittney walks back over and gives me the bottle and pushes the glass over to me.

I pour myself the brown liquor and gulp it down. Brittney walks back towards me.

"Dont you have a job to do." I ask her. She looks at me.

"I'm on my break." She tells me. She pulls out a glass. And then looks to me for permission.

"May I?" She asks. I nod. She pours herself a little bit of the whiskey.

"So what's brought you here?" She asks. Then sips the whiskey. I'm surprised she doesnt scrunch her face, this whiskey is a bit stronger than your usual whiskey.

"What do you mean?" I ask. My voice sounds cold and distant.  Extremely contradictory to my usual soft voice.

"Everyone that comes here is usually here to drown their sorrow.  Be it work sorrow or family sorrow. What's yours?" She asks .

"My fiancee cheated on me with my bestfriend and announce at the altar." I say. Taking a large gulp of the alcohol.

"Wait... that's you?" She asks. Great she heard about it too. And I thought she might be my friend.

"Yup, in the flash. Hey Brit." I ask.

"Yes?" She looks at me.

"Do me a favor. Dont ever help anyone out, they'll come back and bite the hand that feeds them. Get me two more bottle of these." I ask.

I get up from the stoel and I pay her and even tip her extra generously.

The drive hack home is quiet. The city that never sleeps is hiding in bars tonight. I drive to the penthouse.

I walk into the house, the drapes are down and the lights are off. Maybe they left.

I sit on the barstool and I consume the alcohol. All of it until the room is spinning. My head finally feels free.

No Hart is on my mind. I stare up at the ceiling and sigh. I open another bottle, content that I haven't had enough.

"What are you doing?" Charlotte's soothing voice says from the dark. It cant be her, the alcohol must be working on my brain.

I gulp down half of the contents in the bottle. I stare at the dark place , but shes still there.

"Leave me alone God damn it!" I yell. Taking the bottle of whiskey upstairs to my bedroom with me.

Why the fuck can they not leave me alone for christ sake. All I need is some time for my own peace.