Chapter 39

Golden Dawn was almost exactly as big as Midnight Moon. Ryleigh had only been there once before – after she'd survived her throw-down with the feral rogue and had ended up on the wrong side of the river – and the memory wasn't a pleasant one. She wasn't too eager to be back there, and she was determined to make the visit last as briefly as possible.

It was odd to be so close to Midnight Moon and not go there, not to speak of the memories it brought back. Having access to the full range of her memories again, it was more difficult than she had hoped it would be. It didn't help that she had failed to mention to anyone that she had decided to unlock her memories, which meant she had to make sure no one caught on to her distress. Luckily, hiding her emotions was something she was rather good at, and if she did accidentally happened to emote, the others might just think it was because Paige was hiding at Midnight Moon.

Ryleigh still couldn't believe that Paige had deserted them and had sold them out to Alder. She believed Corbin when he said that Paige had wanted him to be the only one to be captured, and she imagined Paige had struck some kind of deal with Alder so the others would go free, but she still didn't understand. Paige cared about Corbin. Sure, they hardly ever saw eye to eye, but she loved him as much as she loved everyone. How could she have been so cold as to hand him over to the enemy?

"Braxton is a dirty dog, but he is important," Corbin linked. Parker had teleported them to the centre of the pack, and, much like at Crimson Claws, they were instantly surrounded, though this time by far more soldiers. Ryleigh counted at least five dozen, all armed and ready to kill. Eager to kill.

Golden Dawn was in some ways a lot like the Shadow Walkers had once been. Morally questionable, ruthless, greedy, rebellious, but there was a certain charm to the Shadow Walkers that the Dawners lacked. The Shadow Walkers committed their crimes with passion, with a flair for the dramatic. They entertained, while Golden Dawn had no respect for the trade. There was something poetic to being an outlaw, and Golden Dawn was illiterate.

"My name is Alpha Corbin, from the Shadow Walker pack," Corbin said, clearly enunciating so that the stupid mutts could understand him. For a pack their size, they were awfully dim-witted. "We wish to speak to Alpha Braxton."

There was some muttering between the soldiers, a lot of far-away looks indicative of linking, and then the circle broke, and two soldiers stepped forward.

"Alpha Braxton will see you in his office. Please follow." They led and Ryleigh, Corbin, and Parker followed, looking around them as they went. Most packs, in their basic structure, looked the same, and this one was no different. There was a hall, a school, soldier's barracks, and many other buildings, among which a large pack house, which they entered.

"I don't trust these people," Parker linked her.

"Tell me about it. Last time I was here, they wanted to let Braxton rape me."

Parker's head shot towards her. "They what?"

She smiled at the passionate anger seeping into his eyes and shook her head. "Of course I paid them back for their intentions, but it doesn't predict much good about their alpha. Gather your patience."

Alpha Braxton didn't offer them a seat, but they took one anyway, squishing thigh-to-thigh on the couch. They'd been brought to his office, where Braxton was waiting for them. He remained standing for the moment, scrutinising them carefully. Braxton was a little bit older than Corbin, though not by much. His dark hair was greying at the sides, and his nose was so crooked Ryleigh doubted he could smell anything with it. A scar ran from his left ear, down his cheek, all the way to his chin, cleaving his unruly beard. He was a big man, burly, bulging with muscle, but not attractive. Too hairy, too malignant a glimmer in his eyes.