Chapter 27

This couldn't be happening. Aaron was pacing the infirmary, pressing his fingers against his eyes. This couldn't be happening. Anything but this.

"Three silvered arrows, he said?" Everlee said. She was standing near the entrance, staring into the hallway to see if they were coming yet.

"Yes. Can she survive that?" The words tasted like poison. Of course she'd survive. Of course. She had to. She had to survive. This couldn't be happening. "She can, right? She's a Shadow Walker. They have resistance."

"Yes, but three arrows is a lot, Your Highness."

"No. She'll make it. She has to. She has to." His voice shook, tears blurring his vision. This couldn't be happening. He refused to believe this. He refused to let her die. Refused to – O, Goddess, what had he ever done to deserve this? Not Jade. Anyone but her.

"They're coming. Make way, Your Highness. This way. This way, quick! Move your legs, you moron!" She yelled at the teleporter as though her admonitions could make him move faster. If only wanting something badly enough sufficed.

Aaron's heart stopped when he saw her. No. No, no, no. This couldn't be happening. Please, no.

"Put her on the bed. Any bed! Just put her down, for the Goddess' sake! Yes. Now leave. Leave! Everybody! Out!" She hurried towards the bed, and so did Aaron.

Jade was stark naked, both dried and flesh blood coating her abdomen and shoulder. Three arrows were lodged into her skin, just like Daniel had said.

"The thing with silver is that I can't heal the wounds until the silver is out of her system. I can maybe stop her from bleeding to death, but I'm not sure. I need space. Your Highness, please. I know you're hurting, but I need space."

Aaron stepped back. This was a nightmare. He was going to wake up soon. That wasn't his heart and soul lying in that bed, holding on for dear life. It couldn't be.

"Grab that candle and hold it closer," Everlee said, pointing towards a candle on the nightstand beside the bed. His hands moved, even though his brain hardly registered her speaking at all. He took the candle and kept it at an angle at which it best illuminated Jade's injuries.

"It doesn't look good," Everlee said. "I'll remove the arrows and close the wounds as far as they'll go, but..." She shook her head.

"There has to be more that you can do," Aaron said. "Please."

"I can't absorb silver. I'm not a werewolf healer. I'd die."

His hands were shaking so badly he was afraid he'd drop the candle.

"This doesn't work. Hey, you! You! Get over here! Move it, you dog!"

Daniel had just entered the infirmary and Everlee beckoned him over with aggressive force. He ran towards the bed, stark-naked and with tears streaking his cheeks.

"Take the candle from the prince. Go! For the Goddess' sake, is everybody deaf around here? Put some speed in it, you lazy mutt!"

Danny took the candle, staring at Everlee with wide eyes. "Like this?"

"Yes. Steady. That's right. Hold still. Good. Finally."

"I'm so sorry, Your Highness," Daniel said, his voice coming in spurts and breaking halfway through. "I ran as fast as I could."

Aaron nodded, but didn't speak. This was unreal.

There were footsteps behind him and he turned to see his parents enter the room.

"O, Goddess," Corinne said, raising a hand to her mouth. "How bad is it, Lee?"

"It's not good, Your Highness. Three silvered arrows. I'm going to extract them now, for which I will need my focus."