"O, darling," Corinne said, crossing the room and wrapping her arms around Aaron. He stood as frozen in her hold, too in shock even to cry. He rested his head on her shoulder, suddenly unable to keep himself up. A tremor slithered through him. Surely this wasn't really happening. Surely the Goddess had mercy. Please have mercy.

Corinne rubbed a hand up and down his back, but it didn't console him. He drew in a deep, slow breath, pulled loose, and turned back to the bed. Jade needed him. Needed him strong and optimistic. He moved around Daniel and took Jade's blood-covered hand in his. She squirmed, her jaw tightening and her eyes screwing shut more tightly.

Everlee had removed one of the arrows. Her magic sparked red, but the wound didn't close. The edges inched closer together, but stopped, the silver rims refusing to meet.

Jade whimpered, her free hand moving to push Everlee away. Beads of sweat formed on her forehead and she turned her head.

"Jade, it's alright," he said, wiping the tears off her cheeks. "It's alright. I'm here. Stay calm. It's alright." His voice was so thick he could hardly get the words out.

Another arrowhead was removed and Jade cried out, her eyes flying open. They shone bright silver and Aaron's heart sunk. He was losing her. He was going to lose her. She was going to die.

Alder moved beside him, his steady hand taking the candle from Daniel's trembling fingers.

"Go get dressed, boy," he said.

Daniel seemed to realise only then that he was naked in the presence of three royals. "Yes, Your Highness. Immediately, Your Highness." He hurried away from the bed, towards the door, then stopped, awkwardly twirling back around. "Can I come back afterwards, Your Highness? I—I feel like I should be here."

"Of course, sweetie," Corinne said. "I'm sure she wants you here."

Daniel nodded and left the room.

"That's one good kid," Corinne said. "He's the one that chased her through the tunnel? How by the Goddess did she know about that one? I only found out about it a couple of years ago."

"You did not inform her of it?" Alder asked.

"Of course not. There were easier tunnels. To be honest, I quite forgot all about it. Who goes down into the dungeons anyway? Not me. Terrifying place. Though I must say it's clever. It's the only one that's not guarded, because everyone has forgotten about it."

"There," Everlee said. "All the arrows are out. As you can see, the wounds won't heal. I can't do more than this. That is, I'll keep the wounds as closed as they'll go, and that should keep her from bleeding out, but the silver is going to kill her within hours."

"No," Aaron said, pouring all his conviction into the word. "She can't die. I will not allow it."

Everlee swallowed, staring down at Jade. "Your Highness –"

"No."

Jade squirmed again, her breathing coming in tiny pants and gasps.

"You are distressing her, Your Highness," Everlee said. "You are feeding her your panic through the bond. Please, calm down."

Calm down? His mate was dying. How was he supposed to calm down? His breath caught in his throat, the weight of the world pressing down on his chest.

Alder put the candle back on the nightstand. "She might pull through," he said. "She has a resistance to silver. It might be enough."

"I suppose we will find out in a couple of hours," Everlee said, "but I wouldn't count on it, Your Highnesses. I've seen enough people get silvered over the years to recognise the signs. She's dying."