xvii. the sweet sound of tears

________

________

Flashback

Madeline and James were in a small cottage with their trusted friend, Hera, who helped Madeline give birth. She was screaming in the middle of her labour as she sat in between James's legs and leaned on his chest. There were in the middle of nowhere and since they weren't in a hospital Madeline wasn't able to get an epidural.

"It hurts James." Madeline breathed out. Sweat built upon her forehead as she took heavy breaths and stopped pushing.

"You can do this." James cooed gently in his wife's ear. "You're going to do amazing."

"I can't do this." She replied feeling another contraction hit her.

Madeline was afraid for her daughter's life. She wanted her daughter to live a normal life but knows that there are people ready to kill her once she was born. Especially right now. Their covens were fighting with all types of supernatural creatures and had their ally's helping them fight this war.

"You can do it. I'm right here." James encouraged as he kissed the back of her head and gently squeezed her hand.

Madeline squeezed her eyes shut and using all her strength and energy, she pushed, crying when she felt the baby come out. She had to stop to take a few breaths. With the next push, Madeline felt the head crowning causing her to let out a scream. Luckily, Hera had done a silencing spell.

"I can see her head! She's almost here, Mad. Just one more push." Hera said, encouraging the women.

With that, Madeline pushed with everything she had causing her to shout. She felt the baby's body come out.

"Congratulations! You have a beautiful daughter!" Hera announced with a loud voice over the baby's cry.

Madeline and James burst into tears and Hera placed the newborn baby girl on the mother's chest. James moved to sit beside Madeline and caressed the baby's head with his free hand.

"Hi, baby girl." Madeline cooed as she leaned down to kiss her daughter's forehead.

Hera watched the parents with a sad expression and alerted them. "I'm sorry but we are running out of time."

James sighed and realised that in a few moments he'll have to give his baby girl away. He'd do anything for her. She looked so small with her cute little button nose. Her face was scrunched up and she had just stopped crying. Her long, thick eyelashes opened revealing her dark, chocolate brown eyes.

"I love you, baby girl." James said as he kissed the girl's forehead. "We need a name."

Madeline paused for a second and thought of all the names for her child. However, one name just couldn't get out of her head. The name was Greek for shining light and this child would be the light in everyone's life.