26

❀ Mia 

Laying in my bed, I listened to the running water of the shower. Ares and I were at my house, but he was taking a shower right now.

My dad watched TV and drank downstairs, so we just let him be. 

After a while, I heard the water shut off. Ares walked out a few minutes later, wearing the clothes he brought to sleep in. 

"We should go to a gas station," I told him while playing with the strings on my sweatpants. "Gas station snacks are always the best."

"Okay, I can drive us," he replied.

I shook my head, "It's just a 10-minute walk."

I've always loved getting snacks from the gas station. Chips, popcorn, candy. 

"Remember when we tried to be active yesterday?" he responded, making a smile spread across my face.

I stood up off of my bed, grabbing a grey zip-up sweater. While pulling it over my arms I told him, "This is different. Come on, don't you like candy?"

"I haven't had candy since I've been released."

My jaw dropped. But then a smirk slowly formed its way onto my face, "Then I'm going to make you eat everything there."

I slipped on some shoes before we started the walk to the gas station. While we walked,  I held onto his hand, making our arms swing back and forth. It was dark, so there weren't many people out. 

It didn't take too long to get to the gas station. We entered, the harsh lighting shining down on us. He followed me into the candy aisle, and I started grabbing one bag of every single candy. Reeses Pieces, Skittles, Sour Patch Kids. Everything.

I put everything down on the counter, the worker looking at me like I was responsible for everything wrong in the world.

They rang up all of the candy, and Ares tapped his card before I could pay. I grabbed the two bags holding our candy, but Ares took one of them from me as I turned around. We walked back out into the night air, the world feeling so peaceful.

We walked down the empty sidewalk, and I started pulling some candies out of the bags. I put a Skittle into his mouth, then a KitKat, then a gummy bear.

I made him review each candy and soon realized that he's a fan of the sour candies. His favorites were the sour Skittles and Sour Patch Kids. 

He grabbed a skittle, putting one into my mouth.

No cars were driving by and nobody else was walking along the sidewalk. It felt like we were the only two people in the world.

I got a bag of chips that I was so excited to eat once we got back. I was going to make Ares watch The Office with me until his eyes fell out.

"If you could go to one place in the world, where would you go?" I suddenly asked him, chewing on the yellow Skittles since they're my favorite.

He thought for a second, looking forward. I linked my arms with him as we walked, waiting for him to answer. 

He finally replied, "Fiji."

My eyes widened slightly. I asked him, "Really? How come?"

"So that I could meet your family," he says.

A smile formed on my face. He looked down at me, no dishonesty in his expression. I smiled up at him, "You're really sweet, you know that?"

"And see who the hell raised you to be this way," he adds. I rolled my eyes, I should've known he wasn't being completely nice.