4

Fridays have never been my favorite day of the week. I know a lot of people love them, and I know it's a lot of people's favorite day. But I like Sundays. 

It felt like a waste of time to go to class today. My teacher was visibly hungover and on the edge of falling asleep, so we just played a Kahoot the entire time. 

Once the class was over, I stood up instantly. Ares didn't show up to take me to school today, so I had to run to the bus station to make it to class because my car had no gas in it. I ran. I, Mia Valentine, ran. To a class where we did nothing.

So I wasn't too surprised to see him not there to pick me up after. What an amazing bodyguard, I'll be sure to give him a 5-star review online.

'Was always here to take me to class!'

'Gave me sweet compliments every day.'

'Had no problem stopping for coffee in the morning.'

As I walked to leave Sean jogged to catch up to me, "Mia! Just wanted to know what time I should pick you up?"

"Well, what time does the dance start?"

"9."

"Then pick me up at 9:30. Here, put your number in my phone so that I can text you my address," I told him, handing him my phone.

He put his number in and once he handed it back to me he smiled, "I won't be a minute late."

What a sweetheart. We parted ways and I made my way to the bus station since Ares is AWOL I guess. Maybe he died and God is real and answered my prayers. I walk to the bus station, chewing a piece of gum, before sitting on the bench and waiting.

I tapped my foot against the ground while I waited, squinting my eyes slightly because of the sun.

"Is this shit gonna come soon or what?" a guy complained from beside me. 

"In like, 5 minutes," I answered him.

He rolled his eyes, seeming as if this were an inconvenience to him. He pulled a pack of cigarettes and a lighter out before lighting one, putting it to his lips. Once the smoke left his lips he said, "An old fucking asshole friend of mine set my car on fire today. Once I find him, his ass is dead."

"Wow. Rough day, huh?"

"You got no idea," he sighed. "My name's H by the way."

"H? Like, the letter H?" 

He nodded. I pursed my lips and replied, "Cool name."

"How about you. What's your name?"

I wasn't about to tell a random stranger at a bus stop my real name. I lied, "Susan."

"Stop fucking with me. I can tell your name ain't fucking Susan."

My jaw dropped slightly as if I were offended. I crossed my arms and told him, "It is! I was named after my grandmother, who died a very terrible death and now you are making me relive it. So I hope you're happy with yourself, H."

My grandma was very much still alive baking cookies and knitting sweaters in Fiji. And her name is Alice.

He put his hands up, "Damn, okay. My bad."

The loud bus pulled up at that exact moment, and a few people got off before I stood up. I walked onto the bus, giving the driver the bill before walking and sitting in a seat near the back. I looked out the window when I felt somebody sit beside me, and H was there with his arms crossed and looking forward. There were literally so many empty seats. I thought about pushing him off.