"Let's just get to school", Sarah muttered, looking across the street, cringing. "Before we start begging for more trouble."

Two guys were beating up this colored kid—he could probably use another word, but he knew a lot of people didn't like that word from experience, and the alternatives were too cruel—and Davey scurried out of there.

He knew it was bad to look away, but there wasn't much he could do about it. So, he walked away with his friends as he tried to ignore the screams of the boy's sister.

——————

Jack walked through the schools front entrance, the remnants of a cigarette in his mouth. He smoked it all the way to school, collecting a few of his friends along the way. Something he was used to, but felt new all at the same time.

His mind was on Davey. The Davey Jacobs. New kid from a different part of the tracks, but still on his side. He was enticing, interesting, just in the way he carried himself.

He's a total dreamboat.

"Hey, Kelly", Race smirked, taking his cigar out his mouth as he hit his friend on the shoulder. "Thinkin' about your beau?"

Jack chuckled as Albert joined in. "Oh, Racer, you already know he is", the redhead teased, his books completely missing from his hands. "Next thing you know, he's gonna be walkin' around circled with a big rock on his finger."

The boys laughed as Jack pretended to threaten all of them, dragging the attention of everyone around them. All of the girls, anyway.

All staring at one person: The famous Jack Kelly.

Jack Kelly moves fast—he is fast—and everyone knew that. He's the type to tell you he loves you during a night of good fun, then break your heart the next morning. Every girl loves him because they thought they could change him.

"And that's why you can't see him anymore", Katherine says, closing her locker. "I forbid it."

"Who are you, my mom?" Davey answered back, sighing as he apologized. "Look, Kath, all I'm saying is don't be so square. I like Jack."

Davey watched as a few kids passed by him and his friends, staring at him weirdly. Davey leaned closer to Katherine and whispered, "And I know he likes me, too."

Sarah sighed and placed a hand on her brother's shoulder. "We just don't want you getting hurt."

"We'd hate to have you blubbering on the couch because you got your heart broken", Katherine smiled. Davey laughed, placing his hands in his ironed pants.

"Thanks, guys."

An arm slid its way across his shoulders, causing him to immediately lean into the touch. "Hey, Dave."

"Uh, hi", Davey stuttered, finding Jack beside him. His breath smelt of smoke. "Good morning."

Jack flashed one of his famous smiles, one that almost made Katherine melt. "You sittin' with us at lunch today, yeah?"

"Yeah!" Davey cleared his throat, looking down at his scuffed Converse. "Yeah. Yep. Righto."

Jack chuckled lightly and leaned in, stopping himself before he went too far. He patted Davey's shoulder, with a grin. "See you later, okay?"

Davey nodded happily as Jack walked away, Katherine watching him. Sarah looked at her in confusion, being interrupted by the bell. "We better get to class", she says, watching as people rushed by.

——————

Davey walked into the lunch room, this time with a bag of food in hand. He truly did intend to sit with Jack and his gang, he dreamed of it even. So when Mom offered to make extra lunches, he couldn't say anything but yes.